Have you considered getting into business writing as your specialty, but you aren't sure that it's for you? Business writing is such a broad area for freelancers that you're bound to find some projects you'd be interested in.
You don't have to offer every business writing service out there to be a successful business writer. For example, I don't write long pushy sales copy that often strikes me as sleazy from the buyer perspective (and if that makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to either). I focus more on projects on the PR side of things -- press releases, company blogs, and white papers for example.
You can focus on any area of business writing that appeals to you -- from internal employee communications to outward marketing and sales efforts. To give you some ideas of where to start, here are 25 types of business writing services you could offer as a freelance writer (in alphabetical order).
- Ad Copy (from simple banner ad text to commercial scripts)
- Annual Reports
- Biographies (such as for executive profiles on the company's site)
- Blog Posts for Company Blogs
- Business Letters
- Business Plans
- Case Studies
- Marketing Plans
- Media Advisories
- Media Kits
- Packaging Copy
- Press Releases
- Product Descriptions
- Product Manuals
- Sales Letters
- Slogan Development
- Social Media Profiles
- Trade Magazine Features
- Web Copy
- White Papers
If you're a business writer, what type of business writing do you like to focus on most? If you're considering business writing, which of these example services would you be most likely to offer? Why? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- 5 Free Scrivener Templates - August 26, 2015
- Quick Tip: Write Blog Posts Faster with Formatting Shortcuts - August 25, 2015
- Quick Tip for Indie Authors: Create Your Own Media List - August 18, 2015
- Quick Tip: Stop Manually Inserting Ads Into Blog Posts - August 11, 2015
- Free Goal & Task Tracker Worksheet - August 5, 2015