Let’s go over some common components of the author (or book) media kit. While most of these will work for a hard copy media kit / press kit, let’s focus on online author media kits (those in newsroom formats on your website or downloadable .pdf files).
Author Media Kit Components – Essential
- Author bio
- Published book list (titles, cover images, brief summary, ISBN, etc.)
- Media contact info (who journalists should contact with questions or interview requests)
- Social media contact info for the author (Twitter account, LinkedIn profile, etc. where members of the media can get the latest news and updates or network with the author)
- Author photo (high resolution)
- Past press mentions, interview credits, etc.
- Endorsements / testimonials from people the media will care about
- Latest press release (maybe a news release for your latest book launch, an upcoming speaking engagement, etc. – in an online newsroom format you might even include a page with a full news release archive)
Optional (but Nice) Author Media Kit Components
- More detailed book info (especially if you have a new release)
- Suggested interview questions (not all journalists who want to interview you will read all of your books or fully understand everything you were hoping to convey – include example questions they could ask you during an author interview which they can tailor to their own audience)
- Frequently asked questions (if you’re asked the same questions constantly include them, and your answers, in the media kit to save everyone time)
- An excerpt from one or more of your books
- Sales figures (especially for past books)
- Info on your target market / readers (Who reads your books? Who buys your books? Why? This info helps a journalist, blogger, or other potential interviewer know if you appeal to their own target audience.)
Do you include other elements in your author or book media kit? Do you have multimedia elements like archived video and audio interviews? Do you have a media-centric blog included? Leave your ideas or tips in the comments below.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp 3rd Edition Released, Save 35% Through Cyber Monday - November 23, 2015
- How to Boost Your Writing Income Before the End of the Year - November 13, 2015
- What’s Your NaNoWriMo Plan? - November 2, 2015
- Productive Writing During NaNoWriMo (Infographic) - October 23, 2015
- Updates on the All Indie Writers Podcast - October 22, 2015