Now how ironic is it that I just posted to this blog earlier today about how to protect yourself from copyright infringement and people stealing your work, and just a few hours later I found a piece of scum stealing an entire site of mine??Â The "real" site (mine) is ChickTech.net. It's one of my newer blogs (launched in April), and also the one I launched a blogtalkradio show for last week. The infringing site (aka "scum central") is ChicksTech.com (won't dare live link the bastard). Anyway, here's what I'm doing (oooh... case study!):
- I already contacted their registrar -they set up their enom account with fake information (really disappointed that it's even a possibility really... are drop-down menus too hard or something, when they'd stop people from making up imaginary states?).
- I went into the whois records and found the guy's yahoo email address. I sent a notice that I expect my content and site's likeness removed within 48 hours.
- If it's not removed by that time, I've detailed my further actions: reporting them to the search engines for copyright violations to have them de-indexed, reporting them to their hosting company to try to have it forcibly removed, pursuing the surrender of the domain name as it was used with the direct intention of profiting from my name, site name, and protected content, and contacting a lawyer if needs be (someone specializing in international intellectual property rights issues).
So we'll see what happens, and I'll be sure to post an update. I have to say... I'm more than mildly pissed... this is the first time I've had a full site ripped. I'm fuming. And if you know me, you'll know a fuming Jenn isn't very pleasant... and she doesn't take a lot of BS. Especially not from thieves.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- 5 Useful Scrivener Keyboard Shortcuts for Writers - May 27, 2015
- Quick Tip: White Label WordPress for Client Installations - May 26, 2015
- Relax Melodies – An Awesome Audio App for Writers - May 21, 2015
- Quick Tip: Your Freelance Writer Website is for Clients, Not You - May 19, 2015
- How Can Writers Protect Personal Information Online? - May 18, 2015