Here's a trick that just occurred to me tonight while getting the next freelance writing jobs post ready for All Freelance Writing (I haven't tried it myself yet):
- Go to a site where you can find freelance writing jobs.
- Search for the term "freelance writers."
- Now, instead of just looking for actual job titles for freelance writers, look for freelance editing jobs where the term "freelance writers" appears in the body of the job ad. It's generally in some line about how the editor (usually a full-time position) will have to manage freelance writers or solicit freelance writers or edit submissions from freelance writers (something along those lines).
One thing I've noticed for quite a while with gigs like that is the fact that I've almost never seen those same companies actively and openly soliciting freelance writers. So there you go... you have another way to access some potentially "hidden" freelance writing markets by finding companies who do hire Web-based freelance writers without actively advertising for them.
Give it a try, and let us know how it goes.
Like this? Please spread the word.
Jennifer Mattern is a professional blogger, freelance business writer, and indie author. She began writing for clients in 1999 and started her first blog in 2004.
She owns 3 Beat Media -- a publishing and client services company which operates All Indie Writers as well as several other websites and blogs including The Busy Author's Guide and BizAmmo. Jenn comes from a background in online PR and social media consulting, having owned a small PR firm for several years before choosing to pursue a full-time writing and publishing career.
Jenn also writes fiction under multiple pen names in the areas of children's fiction, mysteries, and horror fiction. Jenn is an active member of the Horror Writers Association (HWA) and currently serves as the organization's Assistant Coordinator of Promotions and Social Media.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Premium WordPress Themes for Writers - March 11, 2014
- WordPress for Writers: Tips, Tricks, Plugins, and Hacks – Part 3 - March 10, 2014
- Can I Really Make Money From My Blog? – Reader Question - March 9, 2014
- 47 Things to Consider When Setting Freelance Writing Rates - March 8, 2014
- WordPress for Writers: Tips, Tricks, Plugins, and Hacks – Part 2 - March 8, 2014