Register | Login

Forums Blogging Make Money Blogging Anyone Using Adsense Responsive Ads?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Last week I had to switch the Adsense format here to the new responsive layout (so the ads would resize when the site loads on mobile devices). Previously, the wide ads at the top of some pages and on the home page were messing with the responsive nature of the overall site.

I’m always hesitant to use something on a production site when it’s still in beta, but I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Is anyone else here using it yet, or thinking about it?

So far, so good from what I’ve seen. Revenue is up, so even if this isn’t helping, it certainly isn’t hurting. And it seems to work fine when I test it at various sizes.

The only problem is the one known issue they haven’t figured out yet; you only get one size per page load. That means if someone loads it on their mobile vertically and then they change the orientation, the ad size won’t change again unless they reload the page. I don’t expect it to be a huge problem (anything is smaller than the desktop version of the ads, so they still wouldn’t mess with the designs much if they’re a bit too big on flipping your phone orientation). But it will still be nice when that’s an option.

Any other experiences or thoughts on the new responsive option?

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

WellsDK
    Participant

Hi Jennifer.

I’m new to your website and new to being a professional writer. I have been told since Jr. High that I should write professional by teachers, college professors, friends, etc. and now I am taking my first tentative steps out.

I have written articles for local community magazines in the past but now I want to hunker down and make my dream happen. In response to this blog I have actually been looking at AdSense to try to start some earnings with my blog but haven’t taken that leap yet because I know so little about it. Seeing your information on it makes me much more comfortable to at least give it a try.

Thank you for creating this site and for all the help you are already giving me as I start out on my new venture.
    Diana

Diana Wells Freelance Writer Event Management Contractor

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Diana. :)

Adsense probably won’t bring in a lot of income unless you have a lot of traffic. But if you don’t have higher earning options early on, it’s a fine place to start. If nothing else, it’s a good way to test different ad placements and formats to see what your visitors respond to best.

That said, with certain niches it still does very well. That’s why I use it on a few sites, but not all of mine. With other niches the payments per click are much too low. On this site I’m using it on a temporary basis and I’ll slowly phase out those ads with ads for my own products as I release more.

If you want to look into options other than Adsense, here is a post I wrote with 20 possible revenue streams for bloggers:

http://allindiewriters.com/make-money-blogging-blog-revenue-streams/

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.