Register | Login

Forums Other Discussions General Writing Are you a member of any professional organizations? Would you recommend them?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I’m curious about how many of us are members of professional organizations.

I’m not talking about things like membership sites or forums, but actual professional groups (genre-specific publishing organizations, writer’s guild, etc.). Are you a member of any of these groups? If so, who would you recommend the organization to?

The only group I’m currently a member of is the Horror Writer’s Association, though there are a few other genre-specific groups I’d like to join down the line. I do feel the organization is worthwhile. I’ve found a lot of resources and met a lot of people I otherwise might not have been exposed to.

Tell us about your memberships and recommendations below.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

LoriWidmer
    Participant

I’m not in one at the moment, but I have been a member of Media Bistro and ASBPE. Media Bistro felt like a waste of money to me. Others may be getting something out of the membership, but I felt the site wasn’t user friendly enough to be able to access the resources, or even know where to find them. The forums weren’t terribly active, either, and I spent a lot of time answering questions and not getting answers to my questions. Maybe others have had a different experience.

ASBPE was a good one. It’s publishing-specific and aimed at editors, but they offered a lot of free webinars, onsite seminars, and resources that made me feel like the money was well spent.

Also, a friend just recommended Freelance Success to me. He says it’s helped him connect with clients and improve his business skills. I’m considering joining.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I was a member of Media Bistro quite a few years ago. I didn’t stay beyond the first year. I think in my case it was simply too focused on freelancing for traditional publications, and that wasn’t a route I cared to take. I’m not sure if things have improved on the usability front. I only stop by there now when I’m curating job ads. And I don’t find much there unfortunately. There seems to be more emphasis on full-time jobs.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.