Register | Login

Forums Blogging Make Money Blogging Deciding what to charge for banner ads…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Randy Augsburger
    Participant

I have been contacted in the last two weeks by three companies that want to put a banner ad on my mostly dormant survival (blogger) blog (I have too busy writing articles for others to keep my blog filled with new material)…

Problem is I have never sold banner ads on it before…

After some research I am thinking of charging $5 /mo for the ad since right now my page views are around 1000/mo…I am thinking of using the metric of $1 per 1000 page views minimum $5…

Does that sound doable or am I way off base?

Randy

Sometimes it is not enough to do our best...we must do what is necessary.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

It doesn’t sound too bad to me. Here’s the formula Yaro Starek uses (or at least used to — not sure of the date on his post):

http://www.entrepreneurs-journey.com/10201/how-much-should-you-charge-for-advertising-on-your-blog/

Basically he divides his daily visitor count by 10 and makes that the monthly fee. Visitors will be less than pageviews each month, so that might only work out to a dollar or two if you use the same formula. But I think $5 is a good base rate. Anything less and it might not even be worth it to bother with discussions and the administrative side.

Just make sure you use the rel=”nofollow” attribute for private ad sales. Otherwise they’re paid links, and you can get penalized by Google. I wouldn’t risk that, especially if it’s not bringing much income in anyway. They should be buying ads not for link juice but for direct access to the site’s visitors.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.