Register | Login

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Alicia Rades
    Participant

These forums seem a little dead, but I thought I’d introduce myself anyway. Hopefully we can breathe some life back into these forums. After all, I love interacting with other freelancers.

My name is Alicia Rades and I’ve been freelance writing since 2010. I only recently became more serious about it and decided to become a full-time freelance writer and make it into a real career. I just transferred colleges this year and will be starting a bachelor’s program in communication with an emphasis on professional writing in a week and a half. (With my transfer credits, I’ve already got half the credits I need down.) I know you don’t need a degree to be a freelance writer, but I also have a dream of getting a bachelor’s degree, so I’m going to make it count toward my career.

My passion lies in blogging. I know there are tons of other types of writing you can do as a freelance writer, but writing blog posts is my favorite. I run a blog that focuses on blogging, freelance writing, and fiction writing at TheWritingRealm.com, and I recently published an eBook called “The Beginner’s Guide to Writing Quality Online Content.”

Last year I wrote my first novella and self-published it. However, the way I rushed into it left me disappointed, and after I finished two full-length novel first drafts without much planning, I decided that the next book I write will be more thought out and well-organized, so I’m working on outlining that book with more attention to detail without diving in too quick.

What else do you want to know about me? Feel free to ask!

Cheers!

Words are a lens to focus one’s mind. - Ayn Rand

Website | Twitter | eBook

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

The forums are fairly new and had some technical issues after the massive site merger and move to the new domain. The older posts are mostly from the old All Freelance Writing forum (I salvaged what I could when moving to the new forum platform). So things are just getting started here in the community. And as always, happy to have you on board. :)

I’m a big fan of your blog, and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t find new blogs they love very often. Of course I might be biased because you cover the same things we talk about here — freelancing, publishing (here both the business side and the writing side, with a lot of emphasis on fiction as I release my own work), and of course blogging. :) Not many sites tackle all three, but it feels like a natural progression to me given the importance of diversity in a writing career and the fact that so many writers already branch across two, if not all three, of these areas.

What area of fiction are you focused on with your new novel?

I’m big on the issue of treating self publishing professionally (where I draw a distinction between “self publishing” and true “indie publishing”). Out of curiosity, what are the things you want to do differently this time around?

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Alicia Rades
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot more sense.

The book I’m working on outlining is going to be a young adult supernatural. It’s a ghost love story.

The biggest thing I want to do different is to plan it out better, which has already helped me come up with tons of creative ideas I would have never thought of if I just started writing. With my first novella, it was very one-dimensional where there was one issue and it simply followed the story from beginning to end. That’s why it ended up being only 30,000 words. With the one I’m working on, I already have two clearly defined issues and I’m working on some subplots, too, so I think it’s going to be a lot more interesting. Plus, I’m planning to start more in the middle of the story and weave the background information into it so it makes the reader more hungry for answers. I also want to work on my phrasing, give a lot more effort into the editing process, and have a custom-made cover. The story is a long ways away from a finished copy, but I really like where it’s headed.

Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

Good luck with the fiction project, Alicia! Most novels/novellas I beta read can get a good 20 pages lopped right the hell off the front. My first … oh man, my first novella … wow. Same thing. The two initial beta readers both said, “So, um, I thought this was supposed to be a story?” I would say you’re definitely on track starting toward the middle. It’s still important (IMO) to write the beginning so that you can flesh it out and develop it, but ain’t no one wanna read that. It’s the mystery that gets most people hooked anyway :)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

That’s an interesting approach, starting in the middle. I might have to try that with a future project.

I’m due to start a ghost story of my own next month (actually about a month behind!). Mine isn’t a love story though. ;) It’s horror, based on a local legend around my college town.

Have you joined any genre-specific writer’s groups or organizations yet to get feedback if you want it? So far I’m only with the HWA, but it seems like a good bunch of folks. I got in based on nonfiction work in the genre though. The fiction side of things is new to me. I’m focused on a series of short stories first. Only after they’re released will I even think about releasing the first novel in the genre. I figure the stories are a good way for me to try editors on for size, and they can be released individually as well as in a collection down the road.  Or at least that’s the plan. :)

Before I can get to that though, I need to finish up the first draft of a mystery novel. I’m so close. But every time I sit down, I question everything leading up to the end. I had no problem churning out the rest (I have a “spew it out and edit the hell out of it later” philosophy with bigger projects). So go figure. The last 5k words or so are proving to be the real killer.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Cathy Miller
    Participant

Hi Alicia: Good to see you here. I’m going to have put your blog in my feed. I’m impressed that you have gotten as far as you have with publishing. Some of us can’t seem to get to our own personal writing. This blog will be a great resource for you.

And congrats on going after your degree. I went back after 23 years to get mine a few years back. I understand completely the need to do it for you. I look forward to seeing you here and around the blogosphere. Welcome! :-)

Cathy Miller, Business Writer/Consultant

Alicia Rades
    Participant

I’d be interested in reading some of your stories, Jenn. Where can I find them? Or do you not have any out yet?

I haven’t joined any communities for novelists because I’ve spent most of my time lately joining and interacting on freelance communities (like this one, the Freelance Writer’s Den, and Be a Freelance Blogger’s community). I don’t know how much more I could keep track of! I’m working on learning more about novel writing with K.M. Weiland’s resources (from Helping Writers Become Authors). I also participated in NaNoWriMo last year, which was a blast, and there’s a huge community of people to interact with during that.

Alicia Rades
    Participant

Thanks Cathy. I’ve seen your face around a lot, but I’ll have to check out your blog more.

Cathy Miller
    Participant

Thanks, Alicia. I’m working on updating the profile here. Bit outdated. :-)

Cathy Miller, Business Writer/Consultant

LoriWidmer
    Participant

Hi Alicia! Good to meet you. Nice stuff over on Jenn’s blog. Happy to interact with you on a more personal level here.

I agree with Cathy – impressive stuff. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.