Register | Login

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Emily F
    Emily F
    Participant

Hi all, well, on the advice of Jenn (thank you! :) ) I’m adding a client-focused blog to my website, which is still a work in progress. I have a question about guest blogging, but guest posts on my blog rather than me guest blogging on other blogs (who would want me, right?!). Obviously I know that the point of it for the ‘guest’ is increased coverage, so a baby blog with little to no audience wouldn’t be the perfect platform, but when I do get an audience (whenever that is!), how would I go about approaching someone to ask them?

Thanks oh wise ones! :)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I generally don’t ask people to guest post. If I want them involved in something specific, I try to handle it in interview form instead so it’s less work for them. I leave guest posts for those who request them. The rare exception is if I ask a colleague I know well, in which case it’s usually more of a guest post swap where we write for each others’ audiences for a day.

Maybe interviews would be a better place for you to start. You can bring in outside sources and you’ll have a better chance of convincing people to take part even when the site is new.

That said, be careful about bringing in guests on your client-facing blog. I wouldn’t recommend it (I did it once, and wouldn’t again). The whole point of that kind of blog is to build your own reputation as an authority so clients want to hire you. By bringing in guest bloggers, you run the risk of driving your prospects to them instead. Accepting guest posts is something I’d leave to niche blogs. There are exceptions. Larger companies can bring in guests without interfering with their market appeal. But for a solopreneur, I’d avoid it, especially early on.

If you really want guest posts, add a page with guest post guidelines to your site. People search for these, so if you make it clear you accept guest posts, you’re bound to get requests before too long. :)

And what are you talking about? I’m sure plenty of blogs would be happy to have you as a guest! Don’t assume otherwise. No matter how new you are, you probably have a story to tell. You just have to tailor it to the blogs you want to pitch. Work on that confidence! :)

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Emily F
    Emily F
    Participant

Ah, that does make a lot of sense, I don’t want to lose clients before I start! Thanks Jenn, this site, blog, forum and of course your advice are invaluable :)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Anytime. :)

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.