Register | Login

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Darryl Darryl 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

My name is Darryl. I’m 24 and I’ve started my path of freelance writing by creating a blog. My blog’s title is called Writing Prompts for Rookie Writers. The premise of this blog is to help aspiring/rookie writers including myself to become better writers. I’ve been writing for 13 years. It started off as writing for fun and a hobby. As of 2012 I’ve took my writing seriously by writing short stories and prompts. I’ve participated in 2 writing contests hosted by Writer’s Digest last year. Unfortunately I didn’t win both contests but it did help putting myself out there and gain some experience.

I love writing. My writing has gained praise from teachers during my high school years. During my attendance in college a few of my previous professors have noticed how well I write. I’ve took some time off college to better myself, although it has been an uphill slippery battle since 2011. I will be returning to school in the Fall if all goes well. Until then, I’ll start my freelance writing with my blog.

I have an Elance and an Odesk account(s) although I’ve read recently that it’s bad for freelance writers. I will cross that bridge when I get there. I’ve discovered this website from Writer’s Digest magazine during a trip to Barnes and Noble several months ago. I hope to work with everyone in this community for helpful advice and support. I realize that I won’t be coddled here. I’m going to have to work the bootstraps and take responsibilities from here on out.

My goal is to become a successful writer and author someday. Although my major will be Computer Information Systems, after I finish my associates and transfer to a 4 year school. I will minor or do a double major in Journalism-Creative Writing. It’s going to be a lot of work and possibly by the time I’m in my 30s I’ll have my first novel published.

I hope to work and network with everyone in this community. :-)

My blog. My blog is now active!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forums Darryl. :)

Fortunately, tech-oriented niches tend to pay well for freelancers. So if you take on clients in the same area where you plan to pursue your degree, you might have an easier time making some money which can help support you while you focus on more creative writing projects.

Feel free to share a link to your blog in your forum signature so other members can check out your work. To do that, just click the Profile link at the top right corner of the forum, and then click the Edit link on the left side of your profile. The signature field is in there (you can also add an avatar, bio, etc.). :)

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

Will do Jenn. :) Although I have minimum programming experience via online courses should I look more into tech based websites, study up on what’s going on in the tech industry and find some tech niches to write? At the moment I’m looking into fiction, creative writing and gaming niches. Should I read and study more in the niches I want before starting?

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

If you don’t want to freelance in more technical niches, there’s no need to. I certainly wouldn’t choose a specialty solely because it tends to pay well. Ideally you want to strike a balance between what pays enough and what you won’t get sick of writing too quickly. Focusing on fiction and gaming alone might be tough early on, but once you break in I’m sure it will be fine.

Just know that fiction markets don’t tend to pay very much (as in short fiction for freelance submissions), and gaming publications can be tough to crack. So, yes, I’d recommend studying the niche more if you want an easier time of it. Most of the decent paying online gigs I see in the tech area are tutorials. So if you can write tutorials (about design, programming, etc.), that might be your way in. If you can tie those things to gaming, you might be able to build some well-paid portfolio pieces early on.

Check out the “Writer’s Markets” link in the green bar at the top of this site, and choose the blogging markets from the dropdown list. Those are some decent-paying blogs, and most of them accept tech submissions. Maybe one of them would accept things in the gaming niche.

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

Sounds like a good idea. I’ve practiced with a few programming languages so that can work out well for the time being. Thank you! :)

Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

Welcome, Darryl!

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

Thank you Yo. :)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Darryl, I see your signature is showing the URL of your blog, but not an actual link. In your Profile edit form, you can use HTML for your signature to add anchor text and a live link if you’d like. The site is set up to not link to full URLs automatically because we were getting spammed heavily at one point in comments (and the forum platform treats forum posts in the same way). If you need help, let me know how you’d like it to display and I’ll help you out. :)

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

Jennifer Mattern wrote:
    Darryl, I see your signature is showing the URL of your blog, but not an actual link. In your Profile edit form, you can use HTML for your signature to add anchor text and a live link if you’d like. The site is set up to not link to full URLs automatically because we were getting spammed heavily at one point in comments (and the forum platform treats forum posts in the same way). If you need help, let me know how you’d like it to display and I’ll help you out. :)

If you would, I’d really appreciate it. :)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Done. I just used the text you had. You can view it in your profile edit form if you want to see how it was done. :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.