Register | Login

Forums Freelance Writing Freelance Writing Business How do the seasons affect your freelance writing schedule?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LoriWidmer 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

With the cold weather moving out, it’s finally starting to feel like spring around here. While I’ll always be a fall kind of gal, spring is a close second. It’s when I prep my gardens and start planting. It’s when we open the pool and get it ready for summer. It’s when it finally gets warm enough for me to enjoy my coffee out on the deck rather than being cooped up in my office all morning. I love it.

But this year I realized something. I’ve been working far too much since the weather became colder.

If you’ve been a long-time visitor of the site, you’ve probably seen me mention my normal work schedule:

5:00am – noon, Monday – Thursday

I adore that schedule. It’s a big factor in the insanely productive work system I’ve built over the years.

But over this past fall and winter I put in a lot of extra hours, working some nights, and even weekends. I had good reasons for it. I was still trying to get things back on track after my nearly-3-month break last year. And I was going through the huge merger and site move that resulted in the creation of All Indie Writers. It’s been a non-stop roller coaster ever since with all of the upgrades, new content, and troubleshooting that came with the constant plugin upgrades.

Now that the weather’s getting nicer, that has to stop. I can’t say I won’t work any extra hours, especially when I’m taking on that big 3-month blogging challenge. But I’m certainly not going to let work dominate my life as much. So my mission, starting this week, is to get as close to my normal work schedule as possible. And it looks like Mother Nature was precisely the kick the pants I needed to wake up and make that happen. :)

What about you? Do you notice your schedule changing at all with the seasons? Do you change your work location when the weather gets nicer?

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

LoriWidmer
    Participant

LOVE that schedule, too!

Since things dry up around July 4th, I usually cut back to six hours, four days a week. In some cases, I’ll take long weekends that go from Thursday to Tuesday morning. People don’t tend to notice you’re missing at the end of the week, and if they request something at the beginning, you can always reach them before Wednesday. :)

If I could get up (and stay awake) at 5 am, I’d do it. I love waking up early in the summer, so I may try to do just that.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

LOL I think you just gave me my next work schedule Lori — Tuesday – Thursday. ;)

I’ve cut back this year to a Monday – Wednesday schedule for client projects. There are occasional exceptions (usually when something’s due early the following week and I push part of it off just a little too long; then I don’t mind taking care of it on Thursday). That gives me a day of relative peace, barring any technical problems on my site, before my weekend.

How did I not know you’re on that schedule too? (Or are you just saying it sounds appealing?)

If you are and your afternoons are free, we should grab coffee or do Molly’s again soon. I’ll be in Pville either Wednesday or Thursday next week to hit the library. If you’ll be off and available one of those afternoons, let me know! :)

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

LoriWidmer
    Participant

No, I’m saying I do that when things slow down. I’m still a slave to my email, but I check it from the back yard or the park. :) Last year, things were slow because of my post-surgery funk, but the year prior I worked from January straight through to nearly Christmas.

Yes to Molly’s or Steel City even! Let me check my calendar and see which day I can dash out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.