Register | Login

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

I’ve started my blog recently and so far I only have one follower. I type my blog posts on Microsoft Word first and save them. Afterwards I copy and paste my blog posts on WordPress’ word processor. The problem is that WordPress doesn’t have the same formatting as Microsoft Word does and my five posts so far are nothing but walls of text. Even when I’m editing it on WordPress and paragraphing my posts and save them, they’re still a wall of text.

Anyone with any WordPress background can help me with this or give me some advice. From now on I’m just going to type out my posts on WordPress’ word processor. Thank you.

My blog. My blog is now active!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

You can’t paste directly from Word to WordPress. There have always been conversion problems. And even though they said 3.9 would fix that, it’s not the case. There are still issues. For you it’s stripping out paragraph spacing it seems. For me it adds an extra one so I end up with huge gaps between paragraphs.

I recommend working in Scrivener instead. I recently switched all my blog post writing to that software, and it’s far superior (though there’s a bit of a learning curve at first). You can write using multimarkdown there and it will compile it to clean html which you paste into the WordPress html/text editor. The results have been flawless so far.

http://allindiewriters.com/scrivener-for-blogging/

They offer a 30 day free trial. I highly recommend trying it out.

If you really want to stick with Word for some reason, you’ll either have to manually fix formatting issues each time or you need a go-between. For example, you could write in plain text, copy it to notepad, and then copy from notepad to the WordPress interface. You would have to add your bold, italics, header tags, etc. in WordPress afterwards though. Or you could try taking it from Word to a better word processor (OpenOffice, Google Docs, etc.) and see if WordPress keeps the formatting if you copy and paste from those instead. I’m not sure if it will work as I haven’t tested with those.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

Sounds like a great idea Jenn. I’ve heard of Scrivener before and seen a few videos on it. After a demo of Scrivener I’ll buy it in the near future.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I hope it works out for you. When you have a chance to try it, do stop by and let us know how you like it. :)

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

It’s good so far. The only thing I don’t like is it doesn’t display the page length like Word does. It could be because I was using a blank document template altogether. Overall, it’ll help out well. Especially when I’m writing novels. I’ll be testing out more features in the upcoming days. :)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

It looks like that feature is currently only available for the Mac version. But in the forum on the developer’s site, the dev does say they plan to bring all Mac features to the Windows version in time. Unfortunately they don’t share specific time estimates.

Honestly, I didn’t even notice that was missing until you mentioned it. If you’re using the Windows version, the best option is probably to just compile it for Word and review it there when you’re finished writing. If you’re using the Mac version you can find a page view mode in the view settings.

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

I’m have a PC. I’ve actually typed a novel I’m working on on Scrivener and complied it on Word. I was surprised that there was no word count indicator for Scrivener. Oh wel. Haha.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Scrivener does show word counts. It’s at the bottom of the screen as you’re typing. You can even set word count targets for a document and watch your progress as you get closer to reaching it. There’s a tiny little target icon at the bottom right of your main typing area. Click that to set a target. :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.