Register | Login

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Lawrence Ipsum
    Participant

It’s a bit confusing that this site keeps saying to log in after I’ve logged in. Well, I’ll just try to post and see what happens.

I’m a semi-retired software developer looking to do freelance writing on the Web. I’ve written before, but it was many years ago, when this whole online freelance infrastructure and business model didn’t exist. I’m a newbie to the mechanics of writing on the Web.

My interests: true stories and fiction, both with controversial themes. I intend to use pseudonyms. I’ve written on technical subjects, and I’m not categorically opposed to doing some of that again, but I want variety.

I’ve never written for the Web.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Sorry you’re having trouble on the site. I’ve been running maintenance and upgrades, including to the forum area, so you might have come in while a change was processing. I’m also coming across and fixing a few script issues after recent script optimizations, so that might also be related. I’ll check into it and make sure the caching system isn’t messing with the forum access.

I know someone else had this problem previously but it was resolved with some of the recent updates. Can you tell me where it’s asking you to log in again when you’ve already logged in. I’m not able to replicate the issue with my subscriber-level test account. Also, what browser are you using to access the site? I’m happy to look into it if you can give me some details on the error you’re getting.

Other than that, welcome to the community! I’m sure you’ll adapt to writing for the Web just fine. :)  Here’s a post I wrote for bloggers which covers Web writing formatting basics. Once you get used to writing in a “scannable” way, you can adapt to writing for pretty much any audience online. :)

http://allindiewriters.com/blog-post-formatting-tips/

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I was finally able to replicate the login problem, but only in IE. So I just wanted to touch base and see if that’s the browser you were using when the site wouldn’t keep you logged in. I’m looking into it and a few other issues that have cropped up from the recent changes. I’m hoping to have it resolved some time today.

Lawrence Ipsum
    Participant

I’m running Firefox under Ubuntu. Still seeing the weirdness.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I’m in there working on things right now so I’d expect some weirdness for at least the next few hours. Unfortunately fixing that broke something else, so I’m trying to find a solution that causes the fewest headaches.

I was able to finally replicate the login problem on Chrome, IE, and Firefox. But they’re all working okay now on my end with the new script optimization and caching settings. I’m checking it on a subscriber-level account, so I should be seeing exactly what you’re seeing. Previously when I would login as a subscriber and go to the main forum page, it would still have a “log in” link near the top of the site. But pages deeper into the forum had the “log out” link as they should. Now I’m seeing the “log out” link on all forum pages and was just able to post to a thread on the test account without being told to log in again.

It’s possible you tried to access the forums around the same time I was making changes on the back-end which might explain why you’re seeing something different. So give me tonight to try to finish working this out and if you stop by after that just try to log in after clearing your browser cache. Because this fix broke the avatar uploads, I’ll be making a few other changed over the next couple of hours to (hopefully) get everything working again by morning. So sorry about the trouble it’s causing you. I feel terrible about that.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

It looks like most of the mess was caused by some leftover code from a bad caching plugin which stuck around on the server after the plugin was deactivated and removed. It has now been cleaned up. I’ve tested so far on IE, Firefox, and Chrome using a subscriber level account and everything seems to be working fine on the front-end again. I’m not getting any login issues after fully clearing the browser histories. The visual editor for forum posts and replies is also working again (previously the link button and text tabs were disabled due to the same plugin).

If you still run into problems and can post a screenshot, that would be helpful. The only other thing I could do is ask my husband to run some tests on Firefox on Ubuntu if it’s still giving you grief. Maybe he would find something that way that I’m not able to replicate in my own browser tests on a PC.

The only issue now is that the site is back to loading very slowly. That means I’ll be starting the optimization from scratch soon, probably over the weekend. With any luck things will go more smoothly this time. And if not, I’ll simply restore to the site’s current state.

Sorry for all the trouble. I’m doing my best to nip these issues as I come across them. I appreciate you bringing the login problem to my attention, as I hadn’t seen it previously.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.