Register | Login

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I’m going to kick things off with my own thread for our first monthly writing challenge for July 2014. Start your own thread to share your goals and results or to get feedback from your fellow writers. :)

Goals: 

• Increase my average daily word count on my own books, e-books, and blogs to 3000 words per day (on my working days, which are Monday – Thursday).
    • Identify where most of my daily word count currently goes to see if I can decrease time spent on writing-heavy tasks that distract from my own business projects.

My particular concerns are how much time I’m spending on client projects (which I’m supposed to be scaling back), posting on forums, and writing / responding to emails. While I won’t cut client work out completely, I do want to make sure my cutback on my number of clients isn’t being replaced by increased workloads for fewer of them (taking the same amount of time away from my own projects which are my current priority).

I’ll update after I’ve had a chance to track things for at least a week.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

You can do it, Jenn! Inspire us all :-)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Thanks Jessie. :)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I can already start to see where some of my problem areas are going to be. I just tallied up my word count for email alone yesterday — almost 4700 words. Yeah. That could have been a short report or several blog posts. In my defense several of the longest were necessary (how we community in an organization I’m a part of, related to an ongoing project I’m working on). And there were two long ones helping a colleague out with some concerns she had. But I’ll have to monitor email closely. If that’s my norm, I’m going to have to be even more selective about what I respond to (and I’m already pretty selective about that).

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

I have been absent too long from my challenge thread, so I came back to check in after some days off…and some surges in productivity. I was spending an inordinate amount of time on social media, which going forward is going to be unavoidable because of a position I accepted at an organization I want to work with. Still, I feel you on email: messages on FB seem to be most people’s preferred method to keep up with me, and I have logged sometimes several thousand words a day just in those messages! Those could be scenes! Chapters!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

LOL You don’t even want to mention the word “email” to me right now. I’m still ticked at all the hours I lost cleaning up a major email software failure — restoring backups, dealing with the software re-downloading thousands of messages, having to then sort through those thousands of duplicate messages (which didn’t even get auto-filtered b/c the crash killed my filter settings), etc. It’s all fixed now, but mentally I’m still in email hell.

What I found out in my week of tracking is that nearly 5000 words a day on email isn’t abnormal from me, at least on working days (on days “off” it depends if I break down and check messages or not, which I did this past weekend because it was too dreary and rainy to enjoy time outside).

I’m not too far off from hitting 3000 words per day on my own projects. Hopefully I’ll be able to scale back the emails even more next week. Really what I should be doing is spending those 5000 words per day on my projects and put the 2-3k I’m putting into projects now into email (or ideally even less). On the plus side, if I’m writing that many words per day and I still have other areas where I can improve my productivity, I should easily be able to put in 5-6k a day moving forward, if not more. :)

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

Egads Jenn! Well, I look forward to seeing you hit your goals :-) I shared a link to one of Aria’s blog posts in a FB group I admin. Maybe they’ll all email you and we’ll never see you again (LOL). I jest. Seriously though, you do us all a great service with your helpful emails, and we appreciate your hard work. And we know you’ll be able to scale when you need to. Keep at it!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Thanks Jessie. :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.