Register | Login

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

Goals:

• I am looking to reach 2,800 words per day because I have two novellas (one which is one-third finished), ten flash fiction stories, and my blogging with my social media updates to reach.
    • I want to make less new words in my social media updates: I want to re-purpose my blog content as social media content better. Thusly I’d waste less time with social media (in theory) if I was able to be quick and pithy.

Obstacles I’m Facing:

I’m in lesson 9 of a 29-lesson writing course right now, during which I’m taking lots of notes. So there are lots of words I’m making that aren’t mine.

Also, I have a tight budget this month so I won’t be able to pay for likely any childcare. Eep!

I wanted to note that counting outlining words and pre-planning words as such: genius for productivity for me, at least.

Looking forward to the challenge and wishing y’all words!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Good luck Jessie! :)

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

So the novellas / short stories all came together and I finished the first draft yesterday: 20,905 words. It ended up being not the exact project mix I thought it would be, but it is four threads of story with one fifth part conclusion – all to be published in one volume. Going to start revising ASAP.

Three pages (handwritten so no words individually counted) for the first scene of the novel the above shorts are the “taste test” for.

I’ve really honed my social media strategy, so that while I am spending a lot of time there, I’m repurposing my own blog content to chunks and parts (gee that sounds appealing) into my SM updates.

I’ve added some duties to my time, alongside the writing community I admin and the ancillary ones I am an active participate in, I’ve become the social media person for a budding organization: managing that with all the blogging and created quite a bit of words that aren’t mine either, but worth it.

Additionally, I’m getting a lot of words in for the ongoing D&D campaign my husband DMs, but those are words that won’t pay me, but are going toward his will be published (we are playtesting it) Campaign Setting. So I want imaginary half points ;-)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

How’s the daily word count goal working out so far with all of that going on? Any tweaks to make in your goal, or does it look like you’ll be able to manage it by the end of the month?

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

Glad you asked about the wordcount goal.

I’m all over the place with this right now! I am picking my focus back up and seeing that it is the right goal and I am going to stick to it. For handwritten writing, which I do sometimes in the morning, I count each page as 250 words though it may be less or more, and I’m okay with the buffer to that.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Sounds like you have a plan. :)

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

My previous wordcount goal, I’ve determined, is not a good idea for my planning. I figured out that I need to measure in tens.

Tens = ten minutes, with a timer

So, each day, I do 1-3 tens (my goal is 3, but I’ve been doing 1 or 2 most days, but I’m building up to it) of writing, pulling my three best ideas out from my brainstorming from the previous day. I write and brainstorm during the hour I spend cooking dinner the night before.

Each day, I set a goal of those 3 tens, and usually 6 – 24 more tens. Ideally, I’m somewhere around 3 tens in the morning and another 6 throughout the day. This is writing only: I have just as many on brainstorming and planning tasks.

I’ve been tracking this all in a gridlined composition notebook with a modified bullet journal, with two sections: one is a running tally of the big picture, not all mapped out but just far enough ahead to see “on the horizon,” and then a second section that has six lines with six available tens per..and I don’t use every ten so I can breathe. This has been a very effective method for all of my tasks: writing, SM / blogging, personal, etc. I have found a lot of balance in doing this after I tracked my time and then prioritized accordingly.

All in all, July has been a whirlwind month for me. I brought my focus entirely to fiction, I got to 23k+ words on my current novel, started up the flash fiction anthology I’ll be finishing in August, and I got my fiction author blog going – all while interviewing and then meeting about a social media position for an organization I respect. So I added vlogging to this as well.

Hope this all makes sense. I’ve had too much Diet Pepsi, lol.

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

I’m doing this challenge again in August. I’ll just update this post here as long as we have user post editing functionality.

Goals:

• I want to get 4 solid hours in each work day, 5 days a week, on:
    • ENDLESS LONGINGS revision,
    • August Flash fiction challenge,
    • Gothic romance subgenre research,
    • Social media obligations, blogging and updates for my writing groups and the organization at which I’m in charge of social media.

Obstacles I’m Facing:

I have been getting discouraged and unmotivated at certain parts of these processes, feeling pulled away from wanting to do other things, although all of these things are in line with what I actually want to complete.

My daughter is transitioning out of co-sleeping. I don’t even have her this week and when she gets back, I’m going to figure out what time she’ll be getting up and then get up about 5 hours before then to put in 4 hours of work and have a little bit of waking up and hygiene / day prep time there.

Additionally, my husband works a schedule that is the antithesis of what we need to do for her, so there is just a lot of adjusting going on.

Current progress:

• Didn’t work these days (days off) – 8/1, 8/2
    • Successful in all 4 hour blocks – 8/3
    • I skipped the subgenre research on gothic roms and skimped on my social media hour – 8/4
    Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

WOW – Just checked here and saw that I need to make some drastic changes / adjustments here in what I’ve set as targets…welp, I am making needed progress, but said progress has shown me my One True Way…

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

I wanted to say that I’ve discovered that a goal that I thought was out of sight is not, because per Jenn’s productivity info, I took into account my social media writing…and I realized that the first book in the area I’d like to write about is something I have in raw material already! Thanks, Jenn :-)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.