Register | Login

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Jessie Jessie 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

As you’ll read on the blog later this morning, I’m kicking off a series of monthly challenges for writers. The first challenge will be an easy one, and it starts tomorrow. We’ll evaluate where our writing time is really going in an effort to better prioritize things so we can squeeze in more billable hours or higher word counts each day.

Later this morning I’ll add a new section to these forums, and there will be a new forum added each month for discussions around that month’s challenge.

What I’d like to do here and now though is present some of my future challenge ideas and give active community members a chance to make suggestions or weigh in on which of these ideas they’re most interested in taking part in. Here are my current ideas:

• Write a certain number of blog posts in a month.
    • Write a certain number of query letters in a month.
    • Pitch a certain number of guest posts in a month.
    • Reach a certain word count goal for your book(s) for the month.
    • Write a certain number of words every day for a month (rather than reaching a cumulative total).
    • Write a certain number of flash fiction stories (or poems) in a month.
    • A month focused on manuscript revisions
    • A month focused on writing a .pdf guide to give away or sell to promote your freelance business or blog
    • A 30-day freelance marketing challenge
    • A 30-day book marketing challenge
    • A month-long social media challenge (such as tweeting every day w/ a list of suggestions to keep ideas fresh, or using G+ every day for a month to get into the habit)

Do any of these ideas appeal to you more than others? Do you have other suggestions I should consider adding to the schedule? I’ll leave it open to ideas through this week (until Friday, July 4th). Next week I’ll take the ideas and map them out in a schedule to share on the blog.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

I think a more general passive income challenge would be nice. Track the hours/words completed toward developing any passive income source. Hope this makes sense, haven’t finished my coffee yet.

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

This sounds like a good idea. It’ll help me become more creative with my blog. Plus, it’ll add pressure knowing I have a deadline to do so.

I do have an idea, though it may not be a plausible one since we’re all busy. How about with the flash fiction idea you have in that list and we all create a group flash fiction.

One person will create an introductory sentence. The next person will type the next sentence and the next person will type the third sentence, so on and so fourth. I think it will help us all out with our writing and marketing.

My blog. My blog is now active!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Yo, I can definitely work a passive / residual income source into a challenge. I like the flexibility it gives people. :)

Darryl, I don’t think it would work for a challenge simply because the writers wouldn’t be able to get any benefit from it professionally, and that’s the primary goal of taking part in the challenges. For example, they couldn’t pitch the stories to flash fiction markets.

That said, it might make for a fun thread, and you’re always welcome to start one. The General Writing forum is probably the best place for it. I’m not sure if we have enough active members that people would jump on something like that right now, but you’re welcome to give it a try.  I would set some kind of limit in your initial post though. Maybe put a word count limit or sentence limit to keep it within the flash fiction range. That would force people to work toward a resolution too rather than having a neverending story. :)

Emily F
    Emily F
    Participant

I’d like a G+ challenge please, I keep forgetting it’s there and I’d like to work harder at it and see what benefits it brings me.

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

That’s a good idea Jenn. I’d figure it wouldn’t work since it would be difficult to pitch to flash fiction markets.  It would be a fun topic now that I think about it.

My blog. My blog is now active!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I’ll find a way to work that in Emily — either as its own challenge or in a larger social media challenge where writers can choose with site they want to focus on. :)

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

I propose an odd challenge for a future month: 10 minutes for later.

As in, each day, take 10 minutes to prepare for something coming in the future, just 10, to make a small step toward the slightly distant project.

Such as:

• 10 minutes of brainstorming blog posts for the coming months
    • 10 minutes of clustering / freewriting on a future fiction project
    • 10 minutes of brainstorming copy for your freelancer website (build a new resource section, actually find the time, etc)

The idea would be to pick things that don’t get the priority in your daily schedule because of other things, but to do just a little bit, something tiny, so that you get 300 minutes in on a project “you don’t have time for.”

I also like the book marketing challenge idea quite a bit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.