Register | Login

Forums Blogging Blog Setup & Administration Must-Have WordPress Plugins?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I posted to the blog yesterday about a WordPress anti-spam plugin that I absolutely love. I’m not sure how I ever lived without it honestly.

So I wanted to open it up to the community. What are your must-have blog plugins? Here are a few others I’m a big fan of:

• WordPress SEO <– a must-have on every WP site I own
    • WordPress Editorial Calendar <– to view and plan out posts in a calendar layout
    • URL Shortener <– allows me to use a 3rd party URL shortener, which in turn allows me to use my custom URL shortener – 3bm.co (tied to my 3 Beat Media business name) which I run through Bitly

What about you? Do you have any must-have plugins that you would install even before writing content on a new blog? Why do you use (and love) your favorite plugins, and who else might benefit from them?

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

I love Akismet and Adsense explosion, but I’m pretty basic on this stuff.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Do you know if Akismet fixed it’s problems? I didn’t even realize there were problems with them deleting legit comments until someone told me. But most readers won’t bother to do that. They just assume it’s in moderation still for some reason. I hate to think how many I might have pissed off when Akismet was eating my comments. Enough came through fine that everything looked normal to me. But some just weren’t getting to me — not the spam box, not to moderation, nothing. I never did hear a good explanation from them.

If you ever think of switching, a perk of the one I mentioned in my last post is that the spam doesn’t even go to your spam box. It actually prevents bots from leaving automated spam to begin with. So you don’t have to look it over to make sure real comments aren’t stuck in the mix. If you like simple, you’ll love Webvitaly’s anti-spam plugin. You literally set it and forget it. No settings to worry about. No spam getting to you to deal with. It’s fabulous. :)

Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

They were deleting the comments or shoving them into spam? A couple of years ago I had problems with Akismet shoving things into spam that were legit. but I haven’t had that issue since 2011. Now, if they are actually deleting them … well I dunno. I might just try your suggestion, though.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

No, they weren’t even going to the spam box. They never made it to the blog at all. It was happening to several people I knew at the time, and I saw other bloggers complaining of the same issue. It didn’t go to their moderation queue. It didn’t go live on the site. It didn’t go to spam. Certain people would comment, and their comments would just disappear. If you weren’t lucky enough to have a commenter contact you privately about it, you would never even know it was happening. I have no idea if they ever figured the issue out and fixed it though.

Alicia Rades
    Participant

Personally, I love Digg Digg. It’s a floating social sharing button. I also love my nrelate plugin, advanced author bio, and commentluv.

Words are a lens to focus one’s mind. - Ayn Rand

Freelance Writer Website | Author Website | Twitter | eBook

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Thanks Alicia! I don’t use DiggDigg (did for a while, but they weren’t supporting a network I wanted to include at the time; that might have changed). But I’ve seen it in action on some client sites. Good stuff. :)  I use CommentLuv here too. I don’t use that author bio plugin, but I believe I tested it briefly yesterday when I was choosing a new bio plugin for this site. I ended up going with one called Fancier Author Box. I want to reserve judgement on it until it’s been live on the site for a few weeks though.

I’m not familiar with nrelate. Is it a related posts plugin? For that I use Microkid’s related posts plugin because it lets you manually choose the related posts to feature. It’s more work, but it gives more control over internal linking and it avoids featuring outdated posts (like product launch announcements that no one cares about anymore). I like it. But I really wish there was a plugin that would set up automated related post links, but allow you to manually override them. That would make my life so much easier. nrelate doesn’t do that by chance, does it? :)

Alicia Rades
    Participant

Nrelate is all automatic, but yes, it’s one of those plugins that says “You may also like…” and then links to other content. I haven’t heard of Microkid’s related post plugin, but maybe I should check it out.

Words are a lens to focus one’s mind. - Ayn Rand

Freelance Writer Website | Author Website | Twitter | eBook

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

It’s a fun one if you like to fully control those things. It’s good for control freak bloggers like me. ;)  If you use custom post types for anything, it’s good for that b/c you can pull from all of them rather than just blog posts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.