Register | Login

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

If you earn money through your blog, you probably know that post frequency and consistency can play a role in increasing your income. But did you know that the exact timing of your post can also play a role?

I generally try to post in the mornings. Or at least I used to. Lately I’ve been experimenting with posts later in the day. This came after an accidental late post. I woke up the following morning and checked my ad revenue for the site. It was 10 times what I normally bring in on a day with fresh content posted.

Just a fluke, I thought. So I posted late again. While the revenue wasn’t quite as extreme, it was about twice that of a typical day (just talking about ad revenue here).

I’m keeping it up for a few more days to see if the trend continues or not before deciding whether or not to stick with it. I’ll likely test one other posting time block after this for comparison’s sake.

Why might this happen? First, I tend to get more retweets overnight, and I tweet out most posts shortly after they go live. Normally I don’t schedule a lot of overnight tweeting, although I might have to test that as well to see if it has a similar affect without requiring later posting.

Second, I usually try to post around 8:00am. It’s possible that’s just not a good time for my particular readers. Maybe they check their feeds earlier before they start work. Or maybe they check them later, and by that time my post is stale compared to newer material.

In the end, it’s all about testing. But no matter what your income sources on your blog (ads, e-book sales, memberships, etc.), consider testing your timing and not just your approach. Even simple changes can make a big difference.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

A while ago I read something … maybe from Moz … about the SM cycle–when people are most active on social media. I wouldn’t be surprised if it correlates with blog posting schedules. This implied that afternoons and evenings were the busiest in general. Although with freelancers, it’s possible that late afternoons and nights are more likely to be busy.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

We probably read the same thing, but I can’t remember where it was either.

For Twitter specifically, here’s a tool you can use. It helps you figure out when your own specific followers are on the service:

http://www.tweriod.com/

I remember the article I read mentioning that responses and retweets were most active at different times, so if you’re looking for RTs specifically, post later in the day or overnight.

After reviewing more stats, I’m less convinced my ad revenue change was solely a result of scheduling. I suspect a new ad placement I’m testing had more of an effect. (Speaking of which, ads on the forum were temporarily disabled. They’re back up now, but I set those not to show when you’re logged in — you lucky ducks.)

I think it’ll just take continued testing. You know me. Good enough is never enough. I always prefer to do the best I can, and I expect the same from any revenue source. If it can’t deliver, it’s time to replace it.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.