Tell us about your writing space?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern August 30, 2016 at 2:40 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Where do you do most of your writing? Do you have a home office? Do you work in a common area of your home? A favorite cafe? The library? Or do you work in different places from day to day? Tell us about it.

If you have a photo online of your workspace, you can add it using the image link on the editor bar (the far right icon).

While I occasionally work from the deck when the weather’s nice or away from home, usually I work in my home office.

I have a desk that sits in front of a wall of built-in bookcases and cabinets. There’s a rocking recliner and an ottoman where my pup likes to sleep while I work. There is a shorter-variety secretary desk which doubles as a standing desk and a side table (when the desktop is opened up next to the recliner). And more recently I moved a TV in front of my desk which I can use as an extra large monitor if necessary, but which I usually use for catching up on news, watching something during lunch, or putting on Netflix for some background noise (usuallyย Murder, She Wrote).

The big downside is that there’s no door. That wouldn’t be so bad if I wasn’t allergic to my cats.ย Fortunately all but one are semi-afraid of the dog, so as long as she’s hanging out with me, they leave me alone. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Owns AllIndieWriters.com | Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

Emily F
    Emily F
    Participant

I have a home office too, no pics I’m afraid as it’s messy at the moment! I’m naturally untidy, but I do prefer to work in a clear space so I regularly tidy up . . . but it doesn’t take long to get back into a mess again!

I work at a big desk built by my boyfriend up against a wall, but just to the right of the wall is a floor to ceiling window, so I get to look out on the comings and goings in the village, and over the road are fields so at certain times of year I work to the dulcet tones of cows moo-ing and sheep baa-ing ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s also our ‘study’, so one wall is covered in floor to ceiling bookshelves (also built by my boyfriend to house my huge collection of books – to me, the most romantic thing anyone’s ever done for me).

I only have the door shut when I’m on a skype/phone call with a client, which annoys the cat no end ๐Ÿ˜‰ She has her own bed in the corner, and likes to sit on the windowsill as well. There’s a big leather bean bag chair next to the window which is my boyfriend’s seat, he’ll sometimes come and sit and read with me. He knows he has to be quiet though, if he starts getting chatty I have to banish him to avoid an argument!

I’m still working on a PC, but I’m planning to get a laptop soon – we’ve had such an amazing few weeks weather-wise here and I’m fed up of being indoors. Once I have a laptop I’ll spend a lot more time working in the garden!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I hear you. If I don’t add “clean office” to my to-do list each week, it would never get done. I’m feeling a bit odd today actually. Normally I do a quick blitz clean-up on Sunday so I’m ready to go for the work week. But I was away for half the weekend and didn’t have time when I got back. And now hubby has the day off today, so my head is all messed up. Is it Sunday? Monday? I’m surrounded by clutter, so it must be Friday. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It sounds like you have a lovely view. And a handy b/f who knows the way to a writer’s heart. You have a keeper on your hands! ๐Ÿ™‚

Emily F
    Emily F
    Participant

He certainly is a keeper! ๐Ÿ™‚

I might actually steal your Sunday clean-up idea, I tend to just do it as and when it gets too much for me to bear, ha ha, but having a set weekly time sounds like it would work well!

I work from a home office. My PC desk alternates between piles of paper and mega clean. I’ve got some shelves to my left, with filing space, a dictionary, unread books and assorted paraphernalia. It’s compact, but it works. ๐Ÿ™‚

Professional Writer for 25+ years: Online Writing Portfolio : Writing Career Advice : Google+ Profile

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Sounds great Sharon! ๐Ÿ™‚

irenesmith13
    irenesmith13
    Participant

I consider myself incredibly lucky. I have a home office where I can work on the weekends, and now on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday as well, since my current manager allowed me to work from home part of the time. Until recently most of my writing was done on the train. The trip from my house to Hoboken (where I catch a PATH train to New York City) is a little over two hours each way. I seldom write for the whole four hours but I try to get a little bit done every day. I have a small laptop that I use and, even when I don’t want to carry that, I use my iPad or even my phone to write. As noisy as it can be, I sometimes find that I get more done on the train than I do at home.

My home office is the bonus room of our house. It is over the garage and so it’s fairly big. I have a computer desk in the corner (by the windows) and five jam-packed bookcases. I also have a good-size television that I sometimes use to watch movies on disk or on Netflix. It makes a soothing background to my writing. The good thing about my office is that, since I use it for work as well as for my own writing, my husband and son have gotten used to the idea that when the door is closed, knock before entering.

My husband painted the corner using chalkboard paint so I can make notes and to do lists right next to my desk. It really comes in handy sometimes.

So no I have the place, and I have the time. All I have to do is write.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

That sounds lovely Irene, especially having family “trained” not to interrupt you when you’re working! ๐Ÿ™‚

handsomegenius
    handsomegenius
    Participant

Couch, laptop, tunes, phone on silent, house to myself and no distractions

Voted world's most handsome copywriter by a panel of experts (me)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I wish I could do that. I get so uncomfortable when I try to write from my living room. With dictation maybe, but not typing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn