Register | Login

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Yo Prinzel Yo Prinzel 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

I’ve been struggling recently to get more consistent about work/life balance instead of binging and purging personal vs. work time. One of the more successful things I’ve done is to forbid Internet in the bedroom. No smartphones, no dumbphones, no iPads or Pods, no laptops or tablets.

This has done amazing things for my sleeping patterns, stress level and ability to relax. Of course, at the same time I instituted a 4 ounces of wine on the bedside table rule, but I’m sure both of my new rules can share credit.

What kinds of things do you do in order to preserve balance?

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

LOL I might have to try your second rule. ;)

We don’t keep much tech in the bedroom here. We have a TV in there, but I don’t even think we’ve hooked it up, and it’s been there for at least two years. We’re pretty strict living room TV watchers, though I very recently moved one into my office for when I want background noise (for some reason I like Murder, She Wrote on as background noise when I’m writing every now and then). We keep our phones there, but that’s because I use it to listen to guided meditations or I put on soothing music to fall asleep to most nights. It helps. I also use mine as a backup alarm clock in case I need to get up later than hubby. We curl up and play occasional games on his laptop. But that’s pretty rare these days. So it’s mostly an unused TV and a cell phone doubling as relaxing music and an alarm clock. Works for me!

I used to be a master at work-life balance. I kept a strict work schedule which allowed me to keep afternoons and evenings free for my personal life. I’ve been trying to get back to it, but I have a few big projects right now that are making it tough. I’ve had to put in extra hours (which isn’t a big deal given that my “normal” week is only 28 working hours — I just don’t want to slip into those stupid 50+ hour work weeks that I used to put myself through regularly). I’ve gotten better about starting work by 5am again. But I haven’t been stopping at noon (like today — I should be stopping about now, but I still have some blogging and admin work to do). I’ve worked a lot of weekends recently, but I’m getting better about that again too.

I’m going to have no choice but to get back to my normal schedule soon. I just started my veggie garden yesterday and my shade garden has been cleared out, so I’ll be outside a lot more tending to those. And the pool is being opened at the end of the month, so I’ll soon be lounging out back a bit more and having people over to swim, barbecue, and lounge by the fire pit. There just hasn’t been much on a personal level luring me out of the office until now. A long, cold, snowy winter leads to bad habits. Fortunately those bad habits can always be broken. :)

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

So in winter, instead of hibernating you’re workernating.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

lol Pretty much. That and watching other people try to drive in snow while I sit by the window sipping cocoa. Can’t beat it. ;)

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Cathy Miller
    Participant

I have my smartphone in my bedroom at night for charging. And I have it there with the idea it it will be within reach in case of an emergency. I do not pick it up until I get up the next morning. I’m not even tempted.

But this is part of the reason I don’t have a Kindle or other e-reader. My nightly ritual is to read for an hour or so before turning out the light. A Kindle reminds me too much of being on a computer and that reminds me too much of work. So for now, I keep to the paper books. :-)

Cathy Miller, Business Writer/Consultant
    sharonhh
    sharonhh
    Participant

My office is actually off my bedroom, but I try not to use the computer after about 6pm and on weekends. Of course, being a total technology junkie, that’s when I turn to my tablet to catch up on some leisure-time surfing. :)

Professional Writer for 25+ years: Online Writing Portfolio : Writing Career Advice : Google+ Profile
    Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

I know what you mean Cathy–but the Kindle Paperwhite really is so similar to a regular book it’s worth looking into. Sharon–I used to do that. I loved to check my feedreader and various forums from bed, but I can’t stop myself from compulsively checking email and social media too, so I had to stop. Maybe I need to look again for a website blocker app for the iPad. That would help…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.