This Job Ad Made Me Want to Scream

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern September 1, 2015 at 11:30 am.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Freelance writers are subjected to all sorts of crap when it comes to advertised gigs. But this one is right up there with the worst of them. And much to my disappointment, this was featured on ProBlogger — giving assholes who want to exploit writers a far bigger platform than they deserve.

http://jobs.problogger.net/view/9761

It’s clear enough that this person does, in fact, need a writer. But here’s the thing. They don’t want an “expensive” or “professional” writer. No, they want travelers who happen to be great writers. After all, the gig only pays “pocket money.”

That itself wouldn’t be a big deal. The problem is that you earn this “pocket money” by working a full-time job. Yep! They expect you to work full-time and be available for daily meetings all for hobby money pay. After all, they don’t want writers “who are looking to make money.” But here’s the thing. If you expect 40 hours per week out of someone’s life so they can provide a service you aren’t capable of doing yourself, you damn well better be prepared to exchange something of appropriate value. Expecting people to keep your business going out of the goodness of their hearts is foolish, amateurish, and completely disrespectful of people you’re seeking help from.

The saddest thing is I have no doubt some writers are going to see “$500-800 per month” and apply for this BS “job” offer simply because it’s steady money. Please don’t. You can do so much better than this, no matter how much or how little experience you already have.

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

KeriLynn Engel
    Participant

WOW. That’s unbelievable. I wish I could believe that any writer looking at it would just laugh and click away, but sadly I’m sure there are plenty of applications.

I follow the ProBlogger job board on and off (though honestly I didn’t bother clicking on this one because of the typo in the title 😀 ), but I think I’m going to stop for good…

I hadn’t applied to a job posting in a long time (probably 6+ months), but the other day a ProBlogger ad caught my eye. Sounded like they paid decently and it was an area I had written in extensively, so I had plenty of highly relevant samples. They got back to me right away – and asked for a free custom sample as a “test” assignment.

Blech, I hate that. I explained I don’t do free custom samples, and again pointed them to my (super relevant!! almost duplicating his assignment, in fact!) samples, portfolio & testimonials, offered to send more samples, and suggested we could start with a smaller paid assignment before diving into a long-term deal.

And never heard back.

Good! Anyone who expects free work like that isn’t someone who values what we do, so I don’t really want to work with them anyway 😀

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Good for you! If they couldn’t decide if you were a good fit after seeing numerous relevant samples, the problem is on their end. It doesn’t sound like they were really ready to work with professional freelancers. Their loss. Now you’ll be available when something better comes along. And isn’t that usually how it goes? Something falls through, things look a bit down, and before too long the “perfect” client comes a-knocking. 🙂

Sharon Hurley Hall
    Sharon Hurley Hall
    Participant

Makes you sick, doesn’t it?

Professional Writer for 25+ years: Online Writing Portfolio : Writing Career Advice : Google+ Profile

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Absolutely. I hope plenty of writers responded to that ad giving them hell for it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn