Register | Login

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

A post will go live on the blog later this morning, but I wanted to make sure current challenge participants didn’t miss it. Basically, I’ve narrowed down August’s challenge to three options, and I’m letting community members vote. You can vote by commenting on the blog post when it goes live in a few hours (around 9am eastern on Friday). The options are being copied below so you can look them over early if you’d like. I’ll announce the final topic on Wednesday.

OPTIONS FOR AUGUST’S CHALLENGE

• A social network challenge (you choose the network you want to focus on and the challenge will be to actively participate in that community every day during the month)
    • A “passive” income challenge (you choose a passive income stream and have one month to create and launch your product, such as a report, e-book, or template of some kind) — more for bloggers and freelance writers
    • A daily short work challenge (this can be a blog post every day, a piece of flash fiction, or anything within around a 1000 word range — the idea is to get you not only writing around 1000 words per day, but making idea generation and even finishing projects more of an every day occurrence and habit)

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

These are all really cool. Commented on the post :-) (I voted short work.)

LoriWidmer
    Participant

Oh, I love this one! I think I’ll choose the daily short work one. Though I might like to take the opportunity to get more involved in Google+.

I can’t decide! LOL

Yo Prinzel
    Yo Prinzel
    Participant

I could use the social network challenge right now. Second choice would be passive income.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

It looks like the short work challenge won for this month. But, I’ve been thinking. Let me bounce an idea around.

There doesn’t seem to be a huge amount of interest in doing these monthly. I don’t know if it’s just a slow start or what, but I have heard from a few other writers who say they’d love to do it, but they’re too busy to commit to these things regularly.

What I’m thinking about doing is creating a very short guide for each challenge in the master list, and creating a forum for each one from the start. The guides would be posted as sticky topics in each challenge’s section. And then people can do the challenges during any month that they please, while still taking advantage of the community environment to share their progress and get tips from others doing the same thing (or from those who already did that challenge).

I have a plugin installed that can give badges. It’s mostly set up for the future e-courses, but if there’s a way to tie it to the challenges, we could also let people earn a badge when they complete each one. I can’t guarantee that I can do this yet; I still have to dig into the mechanics of it. But if that appeals to anyone, let me know and I’ll see if it’s possible.

I’d start with the short works challenge as an example, and then do the rest (so Yo, I could get your two choices up pretty quickly too).

Once they’re up we could either leave it as an “at your own pace” kind of thing, or I could still feature one every month to try to get more people taking part in them together.

Thoughts? Preferences?

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.