Register | Login

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Whether you live alone and work at home, have a spouse and a houseful of kids, pets that camp out in your office, or an “office” that amounts to a table at your favorite public coffee house, a freelance writer's day can be full of distractions. Sometimes we give in to them. But to be successful in this kind of business, we have to work hard to overcome them. 

Here are some of my own biggest distractions, causing constant internal battles when I should be working:

1. The Internet. — There's nothing like instant gratification at your fingertips when you have a bit of brain freeze. I have to fight to stay off Twitter and forums for example. 

2. Housework – When I'm not sure what I want to write about (or I'm dreading a project for some reason), I'm often distracted by the call of all the housework that needs to be done. I have to close the office door and pretend I'm somewhere isolated when these urges come on. Otherwise, I'd be up doing dishes rather than writing. 

3. My Cats. – I love my cats (4 of the little darlings). There's usually at least one in the office with me. When I'm not in the mood to do what I'm supposed to be doing, I sometimes catch myself swiveling around in my chair to pet whichever kitty's keeping me company at the moment. 

What about you? What are your biggest distractions or at least potential distractions? How often do you give in? And how do you avoid the temptation so you can get back to work?

Jenn

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Jessie
    Jessie
    Participant

Life with child definitely has made distractions seem…petty!

The irresistible lure of the Internet and housework became a whole lot more resists me when I realized just how closely I have to guard my working hours to make sure that I am spending enough time with my daughter.

My number one distraction…Internet forums! Then comes housework. So the fact that I decided to join in on these daily AFW discussions is both a positive and and a negative :-)

Looking forward to hearing what pulls other people away from their businesses. Talking about it should make it better!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Hey Jessie. Thanks for stopping by. 

I hope we don't take so much time away that we become too much of a negative. :)  

And yes. It's definitely nice to hear what distracts other writers. Sometimes it's good to remember we're not alone and we all struggle with something or another. :)

LoriWidmer
    Participant

My biggest distractions are 28 and 24 respectively. You'd think at that age they'd be able to absorb the instructions – “Do NOT disturb me with stuff like 'Where's the butter' or 'How long is our canoe' (that one happened last week) questions. If it's not five pm, I'm not talking to you.”

Then there are blogs.Oh, blogs are my downfall.

Facebook. That damned Bejeweled Blitz!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Blogs used to be a big problem for me. Now I just cut back on my reading time, comment much less often, and never subscribe to those comments (that used to be the biggest time-suck — reading the ongoing conversations).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.