Register | Login

Forums Blogging Blog Setup & Administration What Are Your Biggest Questions About WordPress?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

While I’m publishing a three-part series on WordPress for writers, I know it won’t cover all questions writers might have about the platform. So I’m opening it up to readers, and I’ll continue the series by posting relevant follow-up questions and responses.

Do you have any specific questions that you’d like to see covered in the series or in a follow-up post? Ask them here or email me at jenn@allindiewriters.com.

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Sairra
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

I’m very new to your community and currently quite overwhelmed at the amount of helpful info and tips. I’m loving the job board and hoping to score some jobs there; I’m new to blogging but not to writing or publishing.  As I re-start my two year old blog (which got discontinued in the middle due to lack of time and money) I’m wondering who is proving a good host for small-medium sized bloggers. Secondly for the first time I am planning to purchase a theme (trust me it is very big news for me :)), so I would also love to hear expert bloggers recommend some themes for magazine style blogs.

Cant wait to hear back!!

Saira

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

First of all, welcome to the community! :)

Here are a few recommendations:

Themes

I’ve purchased dozens of premium themes over the years. I’ve had the most consistent luck with ElegantThemes.com and Theme-Junkie.com. They both offer memberships I believe, which means you get multiple themes for a yearly price. Right now I’m playing around with ET’s Divi theme which is quite customizable. Something like that might work for you with a magazine-style site. Theme-Junkie has magazine-style themes, and I was surprised to find that their themes broke less than any others I’ve used over the years (I haven’t had many, if any, compatibility issues during core upgrades or when installing or upgrading plugins).

I’ve also purchased quite a few themes from developers at ThemeForest.net. You can find some amazing options there, but the quality is hit or miss. Some are coded well and some are provided by people who are mainly designers, and the code is a mess. That can make them difficult to work with, and it can slow down your site. One designer I like from there is SwiftPSD.com. The themes might be more bloated than what you really need right now, but if you’re running a more complex site, they have some good stuff and support is very responsive. If you use TF for themes, just do some research before buying. See if the developer is responsive to pre-sales questions on the site, and if they have their own support area, see if you can access it to see how responsive they are to bug reports and questions.

Hosts

I currently use a Canadian company, MyHosting.com. While there were some communication issues getting things set up, I’ve been very happy with them since. Before that I used HostGator. While I had some issues with them at the end (with a particular support rep, not with the actual hosting service), I’d still recommend them as a good place to start if you’re looking for shared hosting.

I always recommend against 1&1 (don’t use that company for anything), BlueHost (some of the worst and slowest WP hosting I’ve ever experienced, plus a number of throttling issues you might not even realize are occurring), and GoDaddy (they try to nickel and dime you to death for services that should be included in your base hosting, and they offer you far less control than other hosts). At a bare minimum, I recommend only using hosts that offer cPanel as opposed to their own custom control panels. It’s robust, and it makes it easier to switch hosts later without a  new learning curve.

I hope that helps! :)

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.