What are your favorite apps for writers?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern November 1, 2016 at 1:11 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I received my new phone last week, and I’ve been having fun playing with while I get things set up and transferred over. Because I went with a Note, I’ve been having even more fun playing with the s-pen, using apps that weren’t as convenient before. In the process, I’ve noticed quite a few new apps available. And I’d love your input: which apps would you recommend for writers?

I’m putting together a list of apps to review on the blog, in addition to testing some out for the fun of it. So if you have a favorite app that you think it worth checking out, I’d love to hear about it. 🙂

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

Sharon Hurley Hall
    Sharon Hurley Hall
    Participant

I moved from an S2 to an S5 and love it! Not doing much writing on phone or tablet, but Google Docs just got way more useful by adding voice typing. Most other apps are pretty basic – LastPass for password management, Carbonite for backup and Classic Words Free because a girl’s gotta have an offline-enabled word game. 🙂

Professional Writer for 25+ years: Online Writing Portfolio : Writing Career Advice : Google+ Profile

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

That’s weird. I’ve been using voice-to-text with the Google Docs app for quite a while. I’m not sure why you couldn’t. Did they disable the mic input from the standard keyboard before? I was using the Swype keyboard before and it has its own voice-to-text, so that might be the reason.

I was on an S3 still. It was working fine when it bothered to work at all. I even used it to record the podcasts and interviews. Loved it. But for the last few months it’s been randomly shutting down in the middle of things, even with updates and patches. I couldn’t record anymore (hence no podcasts for about two months — my normal decent mic also wasn’t working w/ my version of Windows, so that kind of sucked). I was going to go with the brand new Note 5 until I dug into the specs. The stats are incredibly similar to the Note 4, and they even downgraded three things that were important to me — the IR blaster (to use it as a remote), the removable battery, and they removed the sd card slot (and 64 gb wasn’t going to cut it). My brothers love their Note 4s, so that’s the route I went. So far, I’m loving it too. 🙂

I’ve been looking for a password manager, so I’ll check out LastPass for sure. And I’ll have to check out the game. I don’t have many word games on there yet, and I’m kind of ashamed of that. LOL

Sharon Hurley Hall
    Sharon Hurley Hall
    Participant

Voice typing never worked well on my S2, which I changed because it was crashing and shutting down, but it works well on the S5 and more importantly, on the desktop. I can feel a blog post coming on. 🙂

Professional Writer for 25+ years: Online Writing Portfolio : Writing Career Advice : Google+ Profile

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Awesome. If you write it, let me know. I’d love to read about your experiences with it and I’ll certainly share it. 🙂

Sharon Hurley Hall
    Sharon Hurley Hall
    Participant

Will do, Jenn! 🙂

janejane
    janejane
    Participant

I really like Goodreader. I don’t know if it’s available for Android but works great on iOS. I can add sticky notes, highlight text, edit it. And I can do it anywhere. It’s awesome!

Goodreader

She can't act, she can't sing, she can't dance.
    My website.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Very interesting app Jane. 🙂 I could see that coming in very handy for research notes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn