Register | Login

Forums Other Discussions General Chat What do you do with your non-writing time?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Just for the sake of getting to know each other a bit better, what kinds of things do you enjoy doing when you aren’t writing? What are your hobbies?

Here are a few of mine:

• Genealogy research
    • Reading (duh, right?)
    • Gardening

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

When I’m not writing I do the following:

Reading

Watching movies

Play video games for an hour

Travel to local areas

Exercise

Researching various topics on Wikipedia

My blog. My blog is now active!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I wish I had more time for games. Hubby’s more into console video games than I am. I tend to prefer PC-based games. We both love board games and party games though. And one of the best things we’ve started doing recently is hosting a family game night. We do that once each month, and have anywhere from 4-8 people. We might have more for July though. Loving it. :)

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

Console gaming is more my speed too. I don’t have a powerful laptop for PC gaming unfortunately. It’s been a long time since I’ve played board games and I miss them greatly. Lol.

Randy Augsburger
    Participant

Hunt, fish, trap, work on survival skills, garden/homestead…

Now on my writing time I play computer games….

Sometimes it is not enough to do our best...we must do what is necessary.
    Emily F
    Emily F
    Participant

Read, garden, listen to music, cook, travel, go to festivals and smooch the cat. Or the boyfriend. In no particular order :)

I used to be a huge fan of video games, but I’m the type that will spend 48 hours straight trying to finish a game, so I decided it’s too dangerous and sold my consoles!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Darryl, we’ve been having a lot of fun with them. My hubby’s mother brought a bunch of his old board games from when he was growing up during a visit this spring. So we’re still making our way through them. And we already collected them to begin with. We can’t wait to have kids and have them old enough to play. We’d both love regular family game nights. :)

Randy, is that because you’ve stopped writing for a while, or are the games just becoming a distraction?

Emily, it sounds like gardening is a popular hobby around here. And I’m all too familiar with splitting my attention between my guy and my cats (4 of them). They can be demanding little things, but very lovable. :)  I can’t even remember the last time I had time to go to live shows or festivals. That was a big thing years ago when I worked in music PR. I miss it. But I don’t know that I’d have the energy for it much anymore. And good call on the consoles! LOL

Randy Augsburger
    Participant

Games are a huge distraction…I think the problem is I play them on the same computer I work on…at one time I had leach block on here and it helped…but when I did some upgrades I didn’t reset it…I really should

Darryl
    Darryl
    Participant

Games used to be a huge distraction for me. They’re not anymore. As you get older your priorities tend to change, in my opinion. In my childhood and teen years they did distract (minus when school was in session of course) me. Nowadays, I only play them when I feel like playing.  I don’t have a strong urge like I use to.

Randy Augsburger
    Participant

I’m getting old…it doesn’t help any….lol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.