Register | Login

Forums Blogging Make Money Blogging What's your biggest challenge with earning from your blog?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

If you want your blog to be a serious income source, it takes planning and hard work. Let’s talk about the planning side.

What are your biggest challenges in figuring out how to monetize your blog? Are you unsure about what revenue streams would work in your niche? Are you struggling to bring in enough traffic to convert visitors into ad revenue or sales? Is your blog failing to bring in client projects?

If there’s one area you need to re-think to improve your blog earnings in the second quarter, what is it? Maybe we can all help each other out.

My biggest problem here is that I’ve been so caught up in back-end issues and content creation that I’ve neglected promotion of some key income-generating site features. So my plan is to overhaul my promotional plan for the site to better incorporate direct feature promotion (such as the marketplace which is sitting empty since the last round of ads expired — I might have to lengthen the expiration period there early on).

What about you?

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Cathy Miller
    Participant

I am considering monetizing my newest blog. None of my others are (and probably will remain that way). My biggest challenge is not even knowing where to start. I hate ads that pop up in the middle of posts. That’s about the only thing I do know – I won’t do that. ;-)

I just haven’t taken the time to research the different ways. If it takes a ton of maintenance, I probably won’t do it at this point. However, I would like to get something set up so when I move closer to retiring from business writing, I have something else established at least for passive income. Suggestions where to begin researching would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Cathy Miller, Business Writer/Consultant

LoriWidmer
    Participant

I’ve yet to figure out how to monetize without being in-your-face promotional. If it turns me off, I sure don’t want to inflict the same junk on my readers.

I’m with you, Cathy. If it takes tons of time, I’m out.

I do struggle with bringing in readers and converting, but I have such a minimal amount of ad space on my blog, it doesn’t surprise me.

When I built the risk management blog, it was specifically made to face the clients I want to attract. Since I’ve devoted little time to it, it isn’t necessarily doing what I expect. So yes, I need help. :)

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

LOL Cathy, is that a hint that you don’t like the new ad structure here on the blog, with ads further down in the content instead of at the top? Or are you only talking about actual pop-ups? ;)

Which blog is this? Is it tied to your 3-day walks? If I know the niche, I might have some ideas for you. :)

Lori – Is this all about the risk management blog, or the writing one too? You know what I’ll tell you about the writing one…. get off Blogger first. :P  Can you post a link to the risk management one so I can take a look?

This almost has the makings of a blog post series. How would you ladies feel about that? I’d review the specific blog and offer suggestions on monetizing them. If I can get at least 5 blogs lined up, that might be helpful to readers in general. Let me know if you’re interested (I can certainly post suggestions here on the forum if you prefer), and do spread the word if you know of other bloggers who might want some help in that area. :)

Cathy Miller
    Participant

I guess I should be careful of where I’m posting my dislikes. ;-) No, it wasn’t a commentary on this specific blog, but I don’t care for them anywhere in a post – top-middle-bottom. In the side panel doesn’t bother me. Maybe because I can ignore them. ;-) But, I find the ones smack dab in the middle can get confusing.

The ads here are large enough that it is unlikely to cause confusion. Smaller ads with keywords related to the post have actually made me believe they were part of the post, leaving me to say, Huh?

It’s just my personal preference. I’m not a huge fan of ads anyway. I rarely (if ever) click on an ad. And I totally detest pop-ups. What can I say? I’m a crabby old lady. :-)

And, yes, the blog is my new 60 mile one.

Cathy Miller, Business Writer/Consultant

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

lol Well, I’ve yet to meet anyone who would say they like ads on a website they’re trying to read. ;)  But they work. I used to only put in one at the very top. But with more posts having images there now, it wouldn’t work. The text itself would start much too low.  I did what I could to make sure the ads were separated from the content. Personally I can’t stand having the ads floating to one site and making text wrap around it. That often gets in the way of lists, headings, and other formatting. So far this testing as been the most successful for me too.

So while I luvs ya, the ads here are staying for now. ;)  They’re not permanent though. Eventually there won’t be any third party ads on the site. They’re a temporary (although surprisingly good) income source while I get other revenue streams off the ground. By the end of the year all ads on this site will probably before two e-book series and premium site features. Not perfect from your reader perspective perhaps, but at least you’ll know exactly what to expect. :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.