Register | Login

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

As you might know, All Indie Writers has a job board. This is partly made up of uniquely-posted jobs direct from clients and also curated jobs from other sources (as long as they disclose pay rates).

I’m looking for new sources to consider for job curation, and I’d love your feedback. Here’s where most of the gigs come from now:

• Paid listings, direct from clients
    • Journalism Jobs
    • Media Bistro
    • Problogger’s job board
    • BloggingPro’s job board
    • Craigslist (yes, there are occasionally gems on CL) ;)

Every now and then I come across other sources. But can you think of any I should add to my list? Just note that I won’t post any ads from content mills / content networks, freelance bidding sites, or middlemen services (companies that make writers sign up to potentially have work farmed out to them). I also prefer not to get listings from other blogs curating posts because their schedules vary widely and can lead to some dated listings that I don’t have the time or energy to sort through.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Jennifer Mattern - Owner 3 Beat Media

Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

helpfulhand
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

What are your thoughts on using social media to find such leads?

Example: a Twitter post that reads, “Looking for a freelance writer to cover a charity event for my organization’s blog?”

Obviously doing it yourself would be impossible, but there are tools that will do it for you. I can tell you more if this is an option you’d consider.

*Daniela*

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I don’t have a problem with social media sources for job leads (don’t use them much personally in such a direct way, but if I needed new avenues for finding prospects, I’m sure I’d use sources like Twitter more). I’ve offered tips here in the past on using Twitter to find job leads, but two of the easiest are:

1. Set up lists for common job lead sources (like job boards) — many tweet their leads so you don’t have to manually check each board every day.
    2. Use TweetDeck to set up a column that shows all tweets for a certain hashtag (#freelancewritingjobs) or keyword phrases (“freelance writer needed,” “blogger needed,” etc.) — easy peasy, and quick to set up. :)

It’s not something I do when curating leads right now for our job board because it leads to a lot that I wouldn’t include here. For example, I only show job leads that publicly disclose payment amounts, and the vast majority mentioned on Twitter don’t include that information. It would also involve a lot of noise to sort through where I’d have to set up quite a few exclusions in TweetDeck because I don’t accept ads from certain types of sources (like bidding sites and content mills which can be some of the heaviest promoters).

helpfulhand
    Participant

It’s nice to see you’re open to the idea Jennifer. While I’m a part-time freelancer, my full-time job is in communications. I’m currently working for a startup called needls.com, which is a new lead generation tool that scours Twitter and Facebook to deliver real time leads to small business owners, entrepreneurs and independent professionals.

You define your list of targeted keywords (industry related) and needls finds you leads based on your specified geographic area. Here’s an explainer video: http://vimeo.com/94866269

We’re getting ready to launch in about 2 weeks time and right now we’re focusing on building up our membership with free accounts. If you’d like to test it out before giving it your seal of approval, just let me know or visit needls.com.

*Daniela*

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Unfortunately I don’t have time to review new services right now, and because I focus on more of a pitch-free / query-free approach on this site, it’s very unlikely that I’d recommend lead generation software or services. It just doesn’t fit with my goals here. And I notice it requires Facebook to sign up. Personally I won’t touch Facebook, so that alone would make it a no-go for me personally, even if I was looking for a service along these lines.

That said, I’m sure it’ll be a better fit for some of our members and readers, and I encourage a lot of testing in marketing. So I hope they’ll try it out if it seems like a better fit for them. :)

helpfulhand
    Participant

I can see where you’re coming from Jennifer. I do appreciate the encouragement :)

*Daniela*

KeriLynn Engel
    Participant

Just saw this thread & even though it’s a little old I thought this still might be helpful :)

I’ve use the ones you list above, plus:

On a somewhat related note… Is there an easy way to subscribe to the forums here that I’m not seeing? I know I can subscribe to individual threads, but is there any way to subscribe to a whole board & be notified when a new thread is posted?

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestions KeriLynn! (And sorry about your post. Apparently it got caught up in a “pending” folder for some reason, and bbPress doesn’t make it all that obvious when something’s in there from the main admin area.)

I’m honestly not sure about the forum subscriptions. I have a setting checked that looks like it should set that up. But I’m not seeing it anywhere. I’m swamped this week, but I’ll try to look into it next week and see if I can fix things. I did customize the theme a bit, so that could be why it didn’t add the link automatically.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.