Limited Time! Save 35% on the new 3rd edition of my 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp for Freelance Writers now through Cyber Monday. Lowest price of the season. Use discount code BLACKFRIDAY on the order page. Get yours today.
It's Freelance Fitness time again, where we cover one workout idea and one nutrition-related idea each month for freelance writers working from home. This weekend it's time to talk about food -- healthy snacks to be exact. One of the hardest things for me as a freelancer trying to stay healthy and lose weight is the fact that convenience foods are, well, just too darn convenient. The phone and takeout menus are right there when I'm too caught up in work to want to cook. It's easy to keep snacks like chips and pretzels around when you need to nosh.
I'm a grazer. I like to eat a little bit a lot throughout the day instead of eating much larger but less frequent meals. I like to have things around that don't involve cooking (especially now that the weather's heating up here). I like to be able to go to the other room, grab something, and get back to work. I'm sure I'm not the only freelance writer who likes to have little things on-hand. So in light of that I thought we'd kick off this half of the series by listing some of our favorite reasonably healthy snacks that can be kept on-hand for when you're working from home.
Here are my favorites:
- Yogurt (which I add milled flaxseed to)
- Individually-sized packages of cottage cheese
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Pistachios, macadamias, pecans, walnuts, and other nuts (either lightly salted or raw)
- Natural fruit rolls / fruit leathers (for when I really want a sugar kick)
- Mini dill pickles
- Berries and grapes (although you could keep almost any fruit around)
- 100 calorie serving sizes of lite fruit cocktail
- Mini whole grain bagels (and a light cream cheese or no sugar added fruit preserves)
- Whole grain tortilla chips and salsa for when I need a saltier snack and want to avoid things like potato chips
Do you have favorite simple snack ideas that you think other freelancers might be interested in? Share your ideas for some reasonably healthy snacks that writers could turn to when they've got the mid-morning munchies.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp 3rd Edition Released, Save 35% Through Cyber Monday - November 23, 2015
- How to Boost Your Writing Income Before the End of the Year - November 13, 2015
- What’s Your NaNoWriMo Plan? - November 2, 2015
- Productive Writing During NaNoWriMo (Infographic) - October 23, 2015
- Updates on the All Indie Writers Podcast - October 22, 2015