Even though I've been doing most of my workouts indoors lately because of the heat and humidity Mother Nature's been throwing our way here, one of my favorite workouts has always been walking (or hiking depending on where I am). When I don't have someone with me to talk to while working out, I pop in some headphones before heading out the door.
Oftentimes I listen to music. I tend to keep pace with the beat of whatever I'm listening to when I do this, so it's important to have a playlist that keeps my heart pumping (or that gives me drive when I'm climbing).
A lot of the music I prefer isn't stuff you're likely to know -- it tends to be from independent artists. So today I want to share a few of my top picks for workout songs (and hopefully expose you to a few new artists you weren't previously aware of). For each of these, you should be able to listen to the track on the site linked.
- Children of Tomorrow -- Pan.a.ce.a
- Naturally -- Matt Martino
- That Sinking Feeling -- Emma-Lee
- Trees -- Kingsfoil
- Live it Up -- Scott Harris Project
Of course music isn't your only option. When I'm on the bike indoors for example I prefer to listen to NPR to catch up on some world news in the morning. Or you could download your favorite podcasts or (shameless plug) the latest Freelance Theater episode you might have missed. So you can use your workout time to learn or stay connected to others in the industry.
What's on your playlist when you get away from your freelance work long enough to enjoy a great workout, and hopefully come back more productive than ever?
Jenn has 18 years experience writing for others, around 13 years experience in blogging, and over 10 years experience in indie e-book publishing. She is also an Active member of the Horror Writers Association.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Advanced Marketing Tips for Experienced Freelance Writing Pros – New Site. New Community. Next Month. - January 18, 2017
- Want a Successful Writing Career? Do What You Love (and Learn to Love What You Do) - January 16, 2017
- How I Use Todoist to Organize Writing Projects and Get More Done - January 11, 2017
- Want to Launch a New Blog? Follow Along With My 3-Month Blogging Challenge - January 9, 2017
- What do You Want in 2017? (An Alternative to New Year’s Resolutions) - January 2, 2017