I know I'm a little bit late on this week's Freelance Fitness post, but it's recipe time, so here it is.
One thing I want to do with this series is feature extremely quick and easy breakfast, lunch, and snack ideas for those freelance writers who work from home. Why? Because the easier and faster it is to make or grab nutritious foods, the less likely we'll reach for the "bad stuff" just because we're close to the kitchen and they happen to be convenient.
I'm not a big fan of your typical lettuce or spinach-based salads (although I prefer spinach when I do make them). But here's a simple salad that I absolutely love. And it makes a great lunch!
Avocado and Tomato Salad
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion (diced) - optional
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
How easy is this? Just take your diced avocado and toss it in a bowl with some washed tomatoes. Add some diced onion if you want to (personally I don't enjoy raw onions). Drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar on top. That's it. Eat up!
If you want to mix things up a bit, you could swap out the vinegar for some salt and pepper, a bit of olive oil, some lemon juice, or any other seasoning you think would work. I usually don't make this in advance -- I make it right at lunch time, and it's ready in less than five minutes. It might take a bit longer, but you can also slice up the small tomatoes to get their flavor spread over the avocados a bit (or do that if you prefer using other types of tomatoes). If I need something a bit more substantial, I'll add some diced up fresh mozzarella. Then again, I'll pair fresh mozzarella with just about anything!
Do you like avocado and tomato salad? There are a lot of ways to make it. What's your favorite?
Jenn has 18 years experience writing for others, around 13 years experience in blogging, and over 10 years experience in indie e-book publishing. She is also an Active member of the Horror Writers Association.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Writing Goals & Resolutions: Take Two - February 6, 2017
- Increase Freelance Writing Productivity with Time-Based Task Lists - January 31, 2017
- Advanced Marketing Tips for Experienced Freelance Writing Pros – New Site. New Community. Next Month. - January 18, 2017
- Want a Successful Writing Career? Do What You Love (and Learn to Love What You Do) - January 16, 2017
- How I Use Todoist to Organize Writing Projects and Get More Done - January 11, 2017