Land more freelance writing jobs. Get the new 3rd edition of my 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp for Freelance Writers to launch or grow your freelance writing business in 2016. Get yours now.
There are many reasons why freelance writers often times overlook cold calling as a viable marketing method. While some people are frightened at the thought of picking up the phone and making these calls, others shy away because they don’t feel as if they have enough time in their schedule.
Let’s take a closer look at three of the best ways to save time as you cold call a large batch of prospects:
1. Make a list before you ever make a call. I start out with 25 to 50 company names and phone numbers. No matter if you write the information on a piece of paper or use a Word document (or spreadsheet), this is necessary to stay organized. Additionally, it will allow you to move from one call to the next with speed and efficiency.
2. Don’t waste too much time on one single call. Why jump from one voice prompt to the next, wasting valuable marketing time? If you cannot get somebody on the phone, chalk it up as a loss and move on. There are plenty of other prospects out there.
Note: this does not mean you should be “short” when you finally get a decision-maker on the line. At this point, you should take as much time as you can get to explain your services.
3. Know your pitch inside and out. Yes, this is going to save you time but it will also allow you to avoid stumbling on your words as the conversation progresses. Remember, there is nothing wrong with having a “cheat sheet” displaying your main talking points. This will keep your conversation on the right track.
The more efficient you are with your time the more cold calls you are able to make. Subsequently, your chance of landing a new gig is much greater.
Latest posts by Chris Bibey (see all)
- Market your Services with a Holiday Check-in - December 24, 2013
- Three Key Words: Always Be Closing - May 28, 2013
- When is the Best Time to Make Cold Calls - May 14, 2013
- How to Discuss Freelance Pricing During a Cold Call - April 30, 2013
- When Marketing your Services, Let your Passion Shine Through - April 16, 2013