It's always nice to remind ourselves of the perks of freelance writing, but I don't think there's a freelancer out there who wouldn't admit that it has its downsides as well. So I'd like to put the question out there today - what's your least favorite aspect of being a freelance writer?
I used to love accounting and everything related to it. But when it comes to freelancing, I can't stand it. I'm admittedly one of the worst when it comes to keeping records - I can't claim deductions for things I should be able to (and haven't really cared), because I simply lose things.
My client files are pretty meticulous. But receipts and such.... nah. That part of the administrative side of freelancing is the worst for me. I've learned the hard way to get better about it though - I keep much more than I used to. One of these days I'll finally finish setting up a new accounting system for the business (hopefully by the first of next year), and maybe I should tack a new filing system goal onto my list.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Reader Question: Where Freelance Writers Can Find Publications - March 30, 2015
- Weekend Reading: Author Branding - March 29, 2015
- Branding Tips for Writers (Podcast) - March 27, 2015
- Recommended: Write Better, Faster by Monica Leonelle - March 25, 2015
- Quick Tip: Create Custom WordPress Sidebars for Categories or Pages - March 24, 2015