Let's touch on two quick things today: one update and one request for your feedback:
I was hoping to launch the new podcast series recently, but it has been held up briefly due to some issues with my recording software. I intend to hash that out and get the intro and first few podcasts recorded soon, and they will go live starting next week. Please note that because these are derivative works, I will only be recording my own posts here.
The podcast series here will be a bit different than most. We won't have "shows" per se, but will instead offer audio versions of some of my posts here on the site. Not every post will be recorded. Why am I choosing to do it this way?
- It will allow some of our readers to listen to updates on-the-go (personally I'd love to be able to catch up on blogs while in my car, out for a walk, etc. instead of always doing so when I probably should be writing).
- As I review older posts for recording consideration, they will get slight makeovers. There won't be drastic changes, but older posts will have the opportunity to be cleaned up in the editing process (let's face it, we all get better over time).
After I record some of the top older posts here, I may put together a few longer shows. These shows would be themed collections from past posts. For example, we might have a blogging show, one on e-book writing, or some on marketing your freelance writing services.
I'd also like to increase our registrations and our participation in the forums. Right now the only forums available are for the book club. I do not want this to become a huge writer forum, but rather focus on a few specific areas that lend themselves well to community-oriented interactions more than articles.
Here are a few ideas I have for new forum sections. Please let me know your thoughts on these and let me know in the comments if you have other ideas to consider. Please just keep them specific -- if they're categories on the blog, they probably won't make it on the list of forum ideas.
- A Work at Home Forum (this would discussions for all work at home professionals, writers or not, with the intention of offering a social outlet for like-minded folks who otherwise work in isolated environments)
- Freelance Fitness (this was a former post series here on the blog, but I think would lend itself well to those looking for encouragement in pursuing a healthier lifestyle while freelancing -- not easy for some of us when we can roll right from our beds to our desks)
- Writer's Group / Writing Critiques (this would be a place where registered members could get feedback on their writing or ask specific questions of beta readers -- it would be hidden from unregistered users so it shouldn't pose SEO problems if you plan to publish the material elsewhere online)
Thoughts? Other ideas? Let me know in the comments!
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Reader Question: Where Freelance Writers Can Find Publications - March 30, 2015
- Weekend Reading: Author Branding - March 29, 2015
- Branding Tips for Writers (Podcast) - March 27, 2015
- Recommended: Write Better, Faster by Monica Leonelle - March 25, 2015
- Quick Tip: Create Custom WordPress Sidebars for Categories or Pages - March 24, 2015