Below you can find disclaimers and terms and policies you agree to when you access AllIndieWriters.com.
These policies were collectively last edited on November 17, 2014. Edit dates for specific policies may be included within those policies.
At AllIndieWriters.com, we recognize that privacy of your personal information is important. Here is information on what types of personal information we receive and collect when you use or visit AllIndieWriters.com, and how we safeguard your information. We never sell or rent your personal information to third parties.
Your email address and other personal information may be collected when you subscribe to any email list, email course, or other email delivery offered by All Indie Writers, or if you make a purchase of something sold by or through All Indie Writers. I hate spam as much as you do. So this information is never sold or rented to others. It's used only to send emails to willing subscribers and customers, and you may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email you receive. By submitting your email address, you consent to that data being transferred to my email marketing provider (which handles list management and delivery on my behalf -- this company is currently MailChimp).
As with most other websites, we collect and use the data contained in log files. The information in the log files include your IP (internet protocol) address, your ISP (internet service provider, such as AOL or Shaw Cable), the browser you used to visit our site (such as Internet Explorer or Firefox), the time you visited our site and which pages you visited throughout our site. This information is used privately by the site administrator to make improvements to the site. It is also used to identify spammers and trolls when necessary, including individuals posting under multiple handles in a fraudulent way. In this situation stats may be used to identify the individuals, and falsely-attributed comments will be edited and attributed to the actual commenter. While this information may be used to expose those spammers and trolls, the IP address, email address, and details other than the original poster’s name or primary handly will not be shared with anyone else other than if required by a court of law.
Cookies and Web Beacons
We also use third party advertisements on AllIndieWriters.com to support our site. Some of these advertisers may use technology such as cookies and web beacons when they advertise on our site, which will also send these advertisers (such as Google through the Google AdSense program) information including your IP address, your ISP , the browser you used to visit our site, and in some cases, whether you have Flash installed. This is generally used for geo-targeting purposes (showing New York real estate ads to someone in New York, for example) or showing certain ads based on specific sites visited (such as showing cooking ads to someone who frequents cooking sites).
You can chose to disable or selectively turn off our cookies or third-party cookies in your browser settings, or by managing preferences in programs such as Norton Internet Security. However, this can affect how you are able to interact with our site as well as other websites. This could include the inability to log into services or programs, such as logging into forums or accounts.
All comments posted to AllIndieWriters.com are subject to the comment policies and rules below. If you break them, chances are good your comment won’t be approved, will be edited, or will be deleted at my discretion.
Note: Every person’s first comment is moderated to help prevent spam. Occasionally all comments on the blog must be moderated — during spam attacks, group attacks of any kind, or when particularly heated discussions are taking place (especially after normal business hours).
- While I’m more tolerant of insults directed at me (as per rule #2), insulting other readers or other site contributors will not be tolerated.
- If you choose to post something venomous, I insist that you take credit for those comments publicly with your full name (I think that’s only fair, as I don’t hide behind anonymity in my posts). Insulting or obscene comments posted with a generic handle, first name only, or obviously-fake email address will not be tolerated. If your comments are simply constructive and conversational without that bite, I don’t mind if you prefer to use a handle.
- Any language that I deem to be inappropriate in the context of my readership will be edited or removed. Occasionally swearing probably won’t cause me to censor a comment. Excessive swearing, hate speech, and the like will.
- If you say something ignorant because you were too lazy to read a post fully before commenting, I may point out the idiocy once. After that, don’t be surprised if future comments of that nature are just deleted to save the headache. I’m a blogger, not a babysitter–I don’t have the time to continually point out that you haven’t yet learned to read.
- If you’re caught trying to further your own cause by commenting under multiple names / handles, all of your comments on that post will be removed (and yes, there are ways to tell). I reserve the right to name and shame any supposedly anonymous trolls at my discretion (you’re rarely as sneaky as you think you are, even when trying to mask your IP address). This behavior may result in a permanent ban on commenting, and information collected from your comments and our site statistics may be used to publicly attribute the anonymous or falsely-attributed comments to the actual original commenter instead of deletion, at my discretion (although we still won’t share any truly personal information like your email address or IP address publicly).
- If it is discovered that a line of comments is a result of anyone’s attempt to incite a mob mentality, all comments related to that call to action will be removed, and commenters may be banned from future comments here. For example, visiting a company’s forum to announce an unfavorable mention on the site and to ask members to get together to comment on the post, attack the poster or other commenters, etc., will result in deletion. This applies to any hint of mob mentality on this blog. Comments that remain objective and don’t appear to have any malicious intent may be published regardless, depending on the scope of the situation.
- If your comments have little substance, are irrelevant to the conversation, do nothing but try to incite arguments, are libelous in nature, or appear to be commenting solely to get links back to your website, the comments may not be approved. If you repeatedly engage in this behavior, future comments from you may be automatically blocked from appearing on the site. So don’t get off on the wrong foot.
- If you use a keyword-rich handle rather than a name, it will be assumed that you're commenting solely for SEO value, and your comment might not be approved. (ex. Posting under a username like "Software for Writers" rather than a name or handle representing you as an individual)
- You may not include "signatures" in your comments. This is when you add your name and a website to the end of a comment. The only form of signature allowed is the linked commenter name all users are given. If you try to paste in other URLs, they will automatically be stripped and will not be live links on the site. If you try to add links to anchor text, I might remove them before allowing the rest of your comment to go live. I will remove signatures when I see them in comments.
- If you repeatedly violate these rules (or in cases of extreme behavior – such as hate speech), you may be banned from future commenting on AllIndieWriters.com.
Simple, right? Be nice to others. Take credit if you want to be an ass to me personally. And read before commenting. Don’t agree? Then don’t comment.
Oh yeah. And don’t spam. Spam really pisses me off.
This comment policy was last updated on April 5, 2014 to clarify the issue of spam handles and spammy comment "signatures."
Affiliate Link Policy / Ad Disclosure
Private Ad Policy
All Indie Writers currently does not accept private advertising. That includes private text link ads sitewide or within content, banner ads, or sponsored posts. Please do not contact me about private advertising, sponsorship, or equivalent partnership opportunities.
Ad Network Policy
At times, we might include advertisements from third party ad networks such as Google Adsense. These ads are generally contextual ads, and we do not have full control over what displays. For example, if a post is about invoicing software, you might see related ads about invoicing software and services.
These ads can also be controlled by your own browsing behavior where Google shows ads relevant to your interests and recent searches even if they're not relevant to the content on our pages. For example, if you've been searching for a new car, you might find auto-related ads. Again, we do not have full control over these ads and they are not hand-picked by us.
As a result of the nature of these contextual ads, no ad displaying in their results constitutes a personal endorsement by All Indie Writers, Jennifer Mattern, 3 Beat Media, or any contributor to the site.
Affiliate Link Policy
Some posts on All Indie Writers contain affiliate links which help to monetize the blog. Affiliate links are included under the following terms:
- Any review containing affiliate links will be a completely honest review. I don’t write glowing reviews just to push sales. I’ll generally include both positive elements of a product as well as suggestions for improvement if I find faults.
- If I would not be willing to genuinely recommend a product overall, then no affiliate links will be used in the post.
- Posts containing affiliate links will contain a disclaimer at the top of the post or within the post content located near the links.
- If an affiliate product was given to me for free for review, a notice will be placed at the top of the post or within the content of the post.
Note that these terms apply to affiliate text links within the content of posts. There may also be affiliate-linked image ads with some posts (only where the ad is relevant to something in the post). As these are obvious ads and not text links embedded within the content (which could be otherwise misleading) a notice will not be placed at the top of a post noting affiliate ads are present if only an image ad below the post exists. If both text links and a banner are present, the notice will appear.
Last updated June 7, 2014.
Unless otherwise specified in an article or contributor bio, contributors to All Indie Writers are not licensed insurance, legal, financial or medical professionals (or any other type of licensed professional). Information provided by contributors is for entertainment and informational purposes only, and readers should seek the assistance of a licensed professional to help them in their personal and business situations. Opinions expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect the views of All Indie Writers,, Jennifer Mattern, or 3 Beat Media (which owns All Indie Writers).
The authors make no guarantees regarding income potential using methods contained within articles, e-books, or other material on AllIndieWriters.com. The authors have made reasonable efforts to ensure all earnings examples within this site are accurate at the time of publication. Hypothetical earnings examples may be used for demonstration purposes, and there is no guarantee they can be duplicated. You are not guaranteed to earn any particular level of income. Results vary by individuals, based on your experience, expertise, capacity, and desire. You agree that the authors will not be held responsible for any success or failure, or resulting consequences, in business due to your use of the information provided herein.
Downloading of any material from this site — including but not limited to e-books, templates, and forms — is done entirely at your own risk and it is recommended that you only download files if you are sure you know how to use and access them appropriately. Technical support is not offered although problems can be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright and Linking Policies
All content contained on All Indie Writers is copyrighted by its respective author. This site purchases exclusive online rights to content for a limited period of time from our regular contributors, during which the copyright holder may not grant online republication permission to others. You must request republication permission from an article’s author — not the site owner (unless Jennifer Mattern is also the author).
You may not hotlink / link directly to any .pdf or other downloadable files, including images and templates, hosted on this site’s servers. Links must go to the download page on our site. Republication or distribution of any downloadable material is expressly prohibited. This includes full document archiving by any search engine or so-called “.pdf search engine.”
RSS Feed Policies
RSS feeds are provided for All Indie Writers' readers for personal use only. They may not be used for any form of republication of our content.
For example, you are free to view our feed through your favorite feed reader. But you may not use the feed to scrape our content and publish it on another website, in full or in part.Short URL: http://3bm.co/Y7dWbP