As you might know, we kicked off monthly writing challenges here this month. July's challenge was a productivity challenge where participants would use a time tracker or a word count tracker to see where their time was really going (such as "wasting" thousands of words a week on emails -- guilty here). The idea was to find out where we're using our time less than optimally so we could make changes moving forward to squeeze more writing into our working hours.
These challenges are run on the forum (register for free if you're not already a member of the community). There are new sections added every month in the challenges section, and you can start a thread there to share your goals and progress with other writers.
Now is the time to settle on a challenge for August. And I've decided to leave that up to you. Here are three options to pick from for the next challenge. These are all designed to give you some level of flexibility so you can work them in with your existing writing or business plans.
- A social network challenge (you choose the network you want to focus on and the challenge will be to actively participate in that community every day during the month)
- A "passive" income challenge (you choose a passive income stream and have one month to create and launch your product, such as a report, e-book, or template of some kind) -- more for bloggers and freelance writers
- A daily short work challenge (this can be a blog post every day, a piece of flash fiction, or anything within around a 1000 word range -- the idea is to get you not only writing around 1000 words per day, but making idea generation and even finishing projects more of an every day occurrence and habit)
You can vote by leaving a comment on this post. If you have ideas for future months, you can register and share them in this thread in the forum and they might come up for a vote for future challenges. If no votes come in, I'll choose August's challenge from this list and announce it in the comments below (and in the forum) on Wednesday afternoon, July 30th.
Jennifer Mattern is a professional blogger, freelance business writer, and indie author. She began writing for clients in 1999 and started her first blog in 2004.
She owns 3 Beat Media - a publishing and client services company which operates All Indie Writers as well as several other websites and blogs including The Busy Author's Guide and BizAmmo. Jenn comes from a background in online PR and social media consulting, having owned a small PR firm for several years before choosing to pursue a full-time writing and publishing career.
Jenn also writes fiction under multiple pen names in the areas of children's fiction, mysteries, and horror fiction. Jenn is an active member of the Horror Writers Association (HWA) and currently serves as the organization's Assistant Coordinator of Promotions and Social Media.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Authors Attack: Dealing With Negative Book Reviewers - November 21, 2014
- All Indie Writers: New Design, Newsletter, and Other Updates - November 17, 2014
- Podcast E-book Giveaway Results - November 11, 2014
- Princess Jones to Guest Co-Host the All Indie Writers Podcast - November 10, 2014
- Ask a Blogging Question. Win an E-book. - November 6, 2014