As you might know, we kicked off monthly writing challenges here this month. July's challenge was a productivity challenge where participants would use a time tracker or a word count tracker to see where their time was really going (such as "wasting" thousands of words a week on emails -- guilty here). The idea was to find out where we're using our time less than optimally so we could make changes moving forward to squeeze more writing into our working hours.
These challenges are run on the forum (register for free if you're not already a member of the community). There are new sections added every month in the challenges section, and you can start a thread there to share your goals and progress with other writers.
Now is the time to settle on a challenge for August. And I've decided to leave that up to you. Here are three options to pick from for the next challenge. These are all designed to give you some level of flexibility so you can work them in with your existing writing or business plans.
- A social network challenge (you choose the network you want to focus on and the challenge will be to actively participate in that community every day during the month)
- A "passive" income challenge (you choose a passive income stream and have one month to create and launch your product, such as a report, e-book, or template of some kind) -- more for bloggers and freelance writers
- A daily short work challenge (this can be a blog post every day, a piece of flash fiction, or anything within around a 1000 word range -- the idea is to get you not only writing around 1000 words per day, but making idea generation and even finishing projects more of an every day occurrence and habit)
You can vote by leaving a comment on this post. If you have ideas for future months, you can register and share them in this thread in the forum and they might come up for a vote for future challenges. If no votes come in, I'll choose August's challenge from this list and announce it in the comments below (and in the forum) on Wednesday afternoon, July 30th.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Reader Question: When Should Indie Authors Publish a Second Book? - February 26, 2015
- 15 Ways to Repurpose Your Content – Get the Full Report - February 25, 2015
- Quick Tip: Make Sure Your Author Blog Reaches the Right Readers - February 24, 2015
- Get More Out of Your Blog by Repurposing Blog Content - February 23, 2015
- Weekend Reading: Writing Effective Calls to Action - February 20, 2015