It's no secret that I'm a supporter of choosing a specialty as a freelance writer. Whether you choose your specialty based on niche expertise or you choose to specialize in a type of writing you excel at, you immediately gain a marketing advantage.
Specialists are seen as more authoritative, and clients will often pay them more for that very reason. They want your credibility and authority to represent them. They pay more for expert knowledge in a niche or a solid history of results in a certain type of writing (like conversion stats for sales copywriters).
Do you have a freelance writing specialty yet? If so, you're well ahead in the game. But if you don't, why not consider it this weekend and see if it's time for a change? After all, we're nearing the end of the first quarter. It's the perfect time to start reevaluating our businesses.
If nothing else, consider reading these resources during your downtime. Perhaps they'll spark some new ideas.
- Free Advice Friday: Building a Specialty Writing Niche - by Lori Widmer at WordsOnPageBlog.com
- Finding a Specialty as a Freelance Writer - by Karol K. at GetPaidToWriteOnline.com
- Narrow Your Focus: Why Writers Should Specialize - by Kelly James-Enger at Right-Writing.com
- Pick a Lucrative Copywriting Niche That's Right for You - at AWAIonline.com
- Writers Who Pick a Niche Get Better Results - by Joe Warnimont at WriteWithWarnimont.com
- 6 Freelance Writing Niches That Are Often Overlooked - by Anne Horan at FreelanceWriting.com
- Seven Ways to Find Your Writing Niche - by Alexis Rodrigo at FreelanceFolder.com
- The Shocking Truth About Your Freelance Writing Niche - by Susan at WorkingWriterHappyWriter.com
- When a Freelance Niche Appears to be Too Narrow, But Isn't - by Nick Usborne at NickUsborne.com
- Why You Need a Copywriting Niche - by Patty at CopywriterConfessions.com
Now it's your turn. Why did you choose your specialty as a freelance writer? And if you haven't chosen one (or more than one) yet, why not?
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Relax Melodies – An Awesome Audio App for Writers - May 21, 2015
- Quick Tip: Your Freelance Writer Website is for Clients, Not You - May 19, 2015
- How Can Writers Protect Personal Information Online? - May 18, 2015
- Publication Rights for Freelance Article Writers (Infographic) - May 17, 2015
- Don’t Fall Victim to These 5 Blogging Myths [Podcast] - May 14, 2015