Limited Time! Save 35% on the new 3rd edition of my 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp for Freelance Writers now through Cyber Monday. Lowest price of the season. Use discount code BLACKFRIDAY on the order page. Get yours today.
It's no secret that I'm a supporter of choosing a specialty as a freelance writer. Whether you choose your specialty based on niche expertise or you choose to specialize in a type of writing you excel at, you immediately gain a marketing advantage.
Specialists are seen as more authoritative, and clients will often pay them more for that very reason. They want your credibility and authority to represent them. They pay more for expert knowledge in a niche or a solid history of results in a certain type of writing (like conversion stats for sales copywriters).
Do you have a freelance writing specialty yet? If so, you're well ahead in the game. But if you don't, why not consider it this weekend and see if it's time for a change? After all, we're nearing the end of the first quarter. It's the perfect time to start reevaluating our businesses.
If nothing else, consider reading these resources during your downtime. Perhaps they'll spark some new ideas.
- Free Advice Friday: Building a Specialty Writing Niche - by Lori Widmer at WordsOnPageBlog.com
- Finding a Specialty as a Freelance Writer - by Karol K. at GetPaidToWriteOnline.com
- Narrow Your Focus: Why Writers Should Specialize - by Kelly James-Enger at Right-Writing.com
- Pick a Lucrative Copywriting Niche That's Right for You - at AWAIonline.com
- Writers Who Pick a Niche Get Better Results - by Joe Warnimont at WriteWithWarnimont.com
- 6 Freelance Writing Niches That Are Often Overlooked - by Anne Horan at FreelanceWriting.com
- Seven Ways to Find Your Writing Niche - by Alexis Rodrigo at FreelanceFolder.com
- The Shocking Truth About Your Freelance Writing Niche - by Susan at WorkingWriterHappyWriter.com
- When a Freelance Niche Appears to be Too Narrow, But Isn't - by Nick Usborne at NickUsborne.com
- Why You Need a Copywriting Niche - by Patty at CopywriterConfessions.com
Now it's your turn. Why did you choose your specialty as a freelance writer? And if you haven't chosen one (or more than one) yet, why not?
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp 3rd Edition Released, Save 35% Through Cyber Monday - November 23, 2015
- How to Boost Your Writing Income Before the End of the Year - November 13, 2015
- What’s Your NaNoWriMo Plan? - November 2, 2015
- Productive Writing During NaNoWriMo (Infographic) - October 23, 2015
- Updates on the All Indie Writers Podcast - October 22, 2015