Guest posting has been a hot topic lately around the writing, blogging, SEO, and marketing communities. That's a result of Google's Matt Cutts making the proclamation that guest posting (for SEO) was dead, and him more recently mentioning that Google had penalized MyBlogGuest. That site, owned by Ann Smarty, connects guest bloggers to host blog owners.
While I don't know Ann well, our paths have crossed numerous times over the years due to my work with one particular client. From what I know of her, I like her. She seems to be both nice and bright. So I'm sorry that she's the one going through this. I know what it's like to be penalized by Google for standing by your own ethical standards.
While I don't wish that on anyone, I think Google's moving in the right direction here (and in some ways not going far enough to deal with abusive guest post schemes -- separate from the MyBlogGuest issue). But I'll save the rest of my thoughts on the issue for another day, because I have far too many of them to cover in a weekend reading post.
On that note, let's get on with it. I wanted to give you a few resources you could look over if you have any interest in the current guest blogging climate. These posts do not necessarily reflect my own views on the topic.
- Google Takes Action on Guest Blogging - By Chris Crum at WebProNews
- 3 Reasons Guest Blogging Isn't as Dead as Matt Cutts Says it Is - By Elisa Gabbert at The WordStream Blog
- Time for Guest Blogging With a Purpose - By Jen Lopez at The Moz Blog
- How a Single Guest Post May Have Gotten an Entire Site Penalized by Google - By Danny Sullivan at Search Engine Land
- Three Practical Strategies for Boosting Awareness and Credibility With Guest Posting - By Maggie Patterson at Social Media Today
Okay. I lied. I'm going to share one thought on the issue here.
Hey Cutts and crew: If you're serious about cleaning up the guest blogging mess, it would be super great if you would get everyone at Google on the same page and stop letting these "link building" companies advertise their guest blogging services via Google Adwords. Just a thought. I mean, ethical standards and all....
Jennifer Mattern is a professional blogger, freelance business writer, and indie author. Through her company, 3 Beat Media, she operates All Indie Writers, NakedPR.com, BizAmmo.com, and numerous other blogs.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing. She is an Active member of the Horror Writers Association.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- An Open Letter on Trust, “Experts,” and Blogging - June 22, 2016
- 3 Month Blogging Challenge: The Pre-Launch Plan - June 21, 2016
- Get an Inside Look at My Blog Launch Process - June 17, 2016
- Writing Challenge Survey & a New “Coaching” Series - June 16, 2016
- Journalists & PR Pros Go Head-to-Head - June 14, 2016