I usually try to post a collection of articles on a chosen topic to close out our weeks here. This week I want to do something different. Rather than featuring blog posts and other reading material, I'd like to share resources -- free ones at that. Below you'll find a collection of free resources for freelance writers. These tools, templates, and more might be just what you need to start or grow your freelance writing business. Enjoy!
Free Stuff for Freelance Writers
- E.ggtimer.com -- This is a productivity tool that can help you make better use of that butt-in-chair time. I like it as a desktop tool for working with the Pomodoro technique.
- RescueTime -- This is another productivity tool. You can use it to find out how you're really spending your time (great if you've ever wondered where all of your writing time is going. While there is a premium version (currently $9 per month), you can use the Lite version for free.
- Docracy Independent Contractor Agreement Template -- Need to draft a client contract, but you aren't quite sure where to start? Use this free independent contractor agreement template as a place to start. You can even plug in your own information to customize it online before printing or saving.
- Wave Accounting -- If you don't want to shell out money early on (or even later in your career) for accounting software, consider Wave. The company specifically designed it for small business owners of companies with fewer than nine employees -- you know, like you.
- Mural.ly -- The next time you need a good brainstorming session, give Mural.ly a try. You can create brainstorming and inspiration boards that consist of images, links, notes, documents -- pretty much anything you can think of. Combine your interview notes, client drafts, online source material all in one place and make writing your next blog post, feature, or other writing project a breeze. You can even collaborate, letting clients add their own background material. There are premium options available, but you get two murals with a free account, which gives you a good place to start.
Free Resources from All Indie Writers
Don't forget about all of the free resources I make available right here on All Indie Writers as well. Here are just a few examples:
- A free writing community
- Free writing advice and answers to your most pressing questions to help you get past your own unique career hurdles
- A freelance hourly rate calculator to help you set appropriate rates from the start
- A free project rate calculator to help you figure out what you're really earning on individual projects
- A monthly marketing calendar to help you map out your marketing strategy
- A SWOT analysis worksheet to help you figure out how you measure up against the competition
- And much more in the exclusive All Indie Writers resource collection
Do you have ideas for other tools and resources you'd like to see here? Feel free to contact me with your suggestions. I'm going to try to work in one of these weekly resource posts every month as a substitute for one week's weekly reading feature. I'll alternate between resources for freelance writers, indie authors, and bloggers. So keep checking back (or subscribe to stay on top of updates) and never miss the monthly freebie suggestions.
Jennifer Mattern is a professional blogger, freelance business writer, and indie author. She began writing for clients in 1999 and started her first blog in 2004.
She owns 3 Beat Media - a publishing and client services company which operates All Indie Writers as well as several other websites and blogs including The Busy Author's Guide and BizAmmo. Jenn comes from a background in online PR and social media consulting, having owned a small PR firm for several years before choosing to pursue a full-time writing and publishing career.
Jenn also writes fiction under multiple pen names in the areas of children's fiction, mysteries, and horror fiction. Jenn is an active member of the Horror Writers Association (HWA) and currently serves as the organization's Assistant Coordinator of Promotions and Social Media.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Authors Attack: Dealing With Negative Book Reviewers - November 21, 2014
- All Indie Writers: New Design, Newsletter, and Other Updates - November 17, 2014
- Podcast E-book Giveaway Results - November 11, 2014
- Princess Jones to Guest Co-Host the All Indie Writers Podcast - November 10, 2014
- Ask a Blogging Question. Win an E-book. - November 6, 2014