Land more freelance writing jobs. Get the new 3rd edition of my 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp for Freelance Writers to launch or grow your freelance writing business in 2016. Get yours now.
It's not always easy to stay motivated as a writer, while at other times the words seem to just flow naturally. How can you harness that kind of motivation to pull a little bit of it up whenever you need it? A motivational list may help.
This week, create your own motivational list. It doesn't matter whether you type it up, write it in a notebook or journal, slap a short list on a sticky note to your monitor, or put it on the white board on your wall.
Just make a list of the things you love about writing... remind yourself why you write in the first place, why you need to just sit down and get the words out, and more importantly why you enjoy it. We sometimes forget those things when we're not in a "writing mood." Here are a few of my motivations to give you some ideas:
- I always feel accomplished when I've created something.
- I know that working hard in the kind of work I do will someday allow me to stay home when I have children.
- My boyfriend has an insane work schedule that's highly inflexible. I know that by getting my writing done whether I want to or not at the moment, it allows me to be very flexible with my schedule so we can deal with things we need to deal with (whether it's house hunting to just spending time together).
- Writing relaxes me, because I generally only write on topics that I know and enjoy.
- I like being able to share my areas of expertise with others and to network with others sharing my interests, which is a big motivational factor in making me blog when I (often) don't really feel like it... like my non-blogging mood today. 😉
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Why You’ll Fail at Freelancing if You Suck at Math - February 6, 2016
- Why (and How) to Launch Your Author Blog Before Your Book - February 4, 2016
- February Writing Challenge: 30 Blog Posts in 30 (er, 29) Days - February 1, 2016
- Building Author Visibility Before a Book Launch: A 10-Point Plan - January 26, 2016
- 7 Unconventional Ways to Find Freelance Writing Jobs - January 25, 2016