It's not always easy to stay motivated as a writer, while at other times the words seem to just flow naturally. How can you harness that kind of motivation to pull a little bit of it up whenever you need it? A motivational list may help.
This week, create your own motivational list. It doesn't matter whether you type it up, write it in a notebook or journal, slap a short list on a sticky note to your monitor, or put it on the white board on your wall.
Just make a list of the things you love about writing... remind yourself why you write in the first place, why you need to just sit down and get the words out, and more importantly why you enjoy it. We sometimes forget those things when we're not in a "writing mood." Here are a few of my motivations to give you some ideas:
- I always feel accomplished when I've created something.
- I know that working hard in the kind of work I do will someday allow me to stay home when I have children.
- My boyfriend has an insane work schedule that's highly inflexible. I know that by getting my writing done whether I want to or not at the moment, it allows me to be very flexible with my schedule so we can deal with things we need to deal with (whether it's house hunting to just spending time together).
- Writing relaxes me, because I generally only write on topics that I know and enjoy.
- I like being able to share my areas of expertise with others and to network with others sharing my interests, which is a big motivational factor in making me blog when I (often) don't really feel like it... like my non-blogging mood today. 😉
Jenn has over 17 years experience writing for others, around 12 years experience in blogging, and about a decade of experience in indie e-book publishing. She is also an Active member of the Horror Writers Association.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- How Writers Can Prepare Now for a Productive New Year - December 8, 2016
- Reader Question: Blogging to Promote Your Freelance Writing Services - December 6, 2016
- “Doing Good” as Motivation to do Great Things - December 5, 2016
- 3 Month Blogging Challenge: Plan Updates & Launch Date - December 2, 2016
- What I Learned Failing NaNoWriMo - December 1, 2016