We all know that one of the biggest benefits of freelance writing is the freedom it provides. We get to set our own hours. We choose our work days. We don't have to ask for permission to take a day off when we need one. And we can work wherever and however we please. Better yet, we don't have to stick to a single routine. We have the freedom to be flexible from one day to the next.
Having that freelance freedom is a wonderful thing. But it can also be taken for granted. So today let's make sure we aren't doing that. Let's share some of the specific things we actually do with the freedom freelance writing gives us. These are the things we might otherwise miss out on.
Here are some of the things I do with my own freelance-related freedom.
- I can work in the vegetable garden during early morning hours all week long instead of waiting until the hotter afternoon hours.
- I can spend time with our new dog, training her and playing with her on and off during the day so she isn't stuck in a crate waiting for someone to come home from work.
- I can take care of work around the house (like recently building and installing some office shelves) when I actually have the energy to do it. I don't come home feeling tapped after a day in the office coupled with a commute.
- I can hop in the pool or just work outside (assuming my one lousy neighbor isn't causing a racket). Sometimes that break allows me to unwind just enough to get back into work more productively.
- I can listen to NPR, music, or whatever I want without worrying that I'm disturbing other people in the office.
- I can go away for a long weekend any time I want because I don't work Fridays (although now we do have to run it by my husband's employer for him to go with me).
Those are just a few examples. And they're the little things that make life that much more enjoyable when working independently. What about you? What do you do with your freelance freedom?
Jennifer Mattern is a professional blogger, freelance business writer, and indie author. Through her company, 3 Beat Media, she operates All Indie Writers, NakedPR.com, BizAmmo.com, and numerous other blogs.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing. She is an Active member of the Horror Writers Association.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Bree Brouwer on Choosing Her Freelance Writing Specialty - July 29, 2016
- Risks and Rewards When Writers Share Personal Stories Online - July 27, 2016
- Ask Us Anything: Taking Questions for Next Week’s Podcast - July 15, 2016
- Catch Up on Recent Writing Podcast Episodes - July 8, 2016
- Wendy Komancheck on Choosing Her Freelance Writing Specialty - July 7, 2016