"Writer" is such a broad term isn't it? There are so many ways to make money with writing. What do you focus on? Where does most of your writing income come from? My writing income is rather diverse, and only part-time, but I do well enough with it to keep me happy. Here's how I earn money with my writing:
- PR writing for clients
- Copywriting/editing for clients
- Content writing for clients (once in a blue moon, and generally has to be a big site)
- Content sites of my own
- Selling informational products (just PLR articles right now)
Here are some things I'll be doing yet this year (hopefully) to earn more money through my writing:
- Pitching a marketing book to publishers
- Possibly self-publishing a short music promotion book
- Finishing up and selling an e-book
- Adding more content sites and blogs (like the freelance writing jobs blog I just launched)
- Querying some print magazines (something I meant to do earlier)
So, where does your writing income come from? Do you have plans to diversify your income streams? Let's keep building a list of ways to earn money by writing, so those starting out can get a better feel for all of the choices really available to them.
Jennifer Mattern is a professional blogger, freelance business writer, and indie author. She began writing for clients in 1999 and started her first blog in 2004.
She owns 3 Beat Media - a publishing and client services company which operates All Indie Writers as well as several other websites and blogs including The Busy Author's Guide and BizAmmo. Jenn comes from a background in online PR and social media consulting, having owned a small PR firm for several years before choosing to pursue a full-time writing and publishing career.
Jenn also writes fiction under multiple pen names in the areas of children's fiction, mysteries, and horror fiction. Jenn is an active member of the Horror Writers Association (HWA) and currently serves as the organization's Assistant Coordinator of Promotions and Social Media.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Vote to Decide August’s Monthly Writing Challenge - July 25, 2014
- The Horror Writers Association Opens Its Doors to Indie Authors - July 24, 2014
- Recommended Resource: NameSilo for Domain Registrations - July 23, 2014
- Quick Tip: Speed Up Your WordPress Blog by Identifying Slow Plugins - July 22, 2014
- Ten Reasons to Launch an Author Blog - July 21, 2014