I've seen a few posts in the freelance writing blogging community lately detailing lists of resources for writers (mostly online resources). Here are a few of those posts:
- 5 Free Training Resources for Freelance Writers
- Top 8 Free Online Tools for Freelance Writers
- 9 Essential Tools for Practical Freelance Writing
The tools and resources cover everything from learning about writing to getting paid. Here are a few of my favorites, some of which I've found indispensible:
- Paypal - Because I focus on Web-based writing (not to mention Web-based sales of my own writing-related products), I can't imagine doing business without a Paypal account. While it's not perfect, I rarely have a client that can't pay me through their interface, and I love that I can simply use their debit card to remove the funds quickly (quicker to deposit it into a bank account that way than wait for the digital transfer).
- NewsU.org - I was glad to be reminded of this site while reading the posts above. I used to use it quite a bit - it's a great place to learn about news writing (and I think most copywriters and content writers would benefit from something there). I'd featured this site on my old writing forums quite a while back (2006), and probably haven't visited in at least a year. It looks better than ever now.
- Blogs - They're cheap to run. They let you feature your writing. They help bring search engine traffic to you. You can link them to your business site. You can use them to demonstrate expertise in a niche. I don't think there's a better tool out there for freelance writers at the moment.
So what do you think? What are the best freelance writing resources on the Web? Any tools for freelance writers to share that most of us probably haven't heard of yet?
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Quick Tip: Sort and Filter for Easier Email Management - June 30, 2015
- Quick Tip: Keep Your Book Marketing as Creative as Your Writing - June 23, 2015
- 7 Ways to Speed Up Your Website (Infographic) - June 20, 2015
- More Unique Content for Newsletter Subscribers and a New Blog Post Schedule - June 18, 2015
- 8 Blog Post Ideas to Fall Back On - June 17, 2015