I've seen a few posts in the freelance writing blogging community lately detailing lists of resources for writers (mostly online resources). Here are a few of those posts:
- 5 Free Training Resources for Freelance Writers
- Top 8 Free Online Tools for Freelance Writers
- 9 Essential Tools for Practical Freelance Writing
The tools and resources cover everything from learning about writing to getting paid. Here are a few of my favorites, some of which I've found indispensible:
- Paypal - Because I focus on Web-based writing (not to mention Web-based sales of my own writing-related products), I can't imagine doing business without a Paypal account. While it's not perfect, I rarely have a client that can't pay me through their interface, and I love that I can simply use their debit card to remove the funds quickly (quicker to deposit it into a bank account that way than wait for the digital transfer).
- NewsU.org - I was glad to be reminded of this site while reading the posts above. I used to use it quite a bit - it's a great place to learn about news writing (and I think most copywriters and content writers would benefit from something there). I'd featured this site on my old writing forums quite a while back (2006), and probably haven't visited in at least a year. It looks better than ever now.
- Blogs - They're cheap to run. They let you feature your writing. They help bring search engine traffic to you. You can link them to your business site. You can use them to demonstrate expertise in a niche. I don't think there's a better tool out there for freelance writers at the moment.
So what do you think? What are the best freelance writing resources on the Web? Any tools for freelance writers to share that most of us probably haven't heard of yet?
Jenn has 18 years experience writing for others, around 13 years experience in blogging, and over 10 years experience in indie e-book publishing. She is also an Active member of the Horror Writers Association.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Writing Goals & Resolutions: Take Two - February 6, 2017
- Increase Freelance Writing Productivity with Time-Based Task Lists - January 31, 2017
- Advanced Marketing Tips for Experienced Freelance Writing Pros – New Site. New Community. Next Month. - January 18, 2017
- Want a Successful Writing Career? Do What You Love (and Learn to Love What You Do) - January 16, 2017
- How I Use Todoist to Organize Writing Projects and Get More Done - January 11, 2017