Limited Time! Save 35% on the new 3rd edition of my 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp for Freelance Writers now through Cyber Monday. Lowest price of the season. Use discount code BLACKFRIDAY on the order page. Get yours today.
I'm a big fan of any tool that can help me get more work finished in less time. One tool freelance writers might not think to use is a word count tracker. (By the way, we offer two free word count trackers here for our readers.)
But word count trackers are more for authors, right? Sure. They're great for tracking your progress on a book. But there are also plenty of ways you can use them with typical freelance projects.
For example, you might use a word count tracker to:
- Work toward blogging word count goals for the week or month;
- Track word counts for e-books for clients or marketing;
- Document your monthly word count for total magazine submissions you write;
- Note word counts across all of your projects as a whole to see how prolific you are each month.
How does tracking your word count potentially make you more productive?
- It lets you break large projects up into smaller, more attainable goals so they're less intimidating.
- Reaching daily or weekly word count goals can keep you motivated -- small successes lead to larger ones.
- You can track your typical progress and turn it into a game, always trying to beat your most productive period with higher word count goals.
- A word count tracker can help you hold you accountable if you publish it on your own website or blog for others to see.
Do you use a word count tracker? What kinds of projects do you use it for (or what projects would you consider using one for)? Do you share your word count trackers publicly or keep that data private for your own evaluation? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- 30 Day Marketing Boot Camp 3rd Edition Released, Save 35% Through Cyber Monday - November 23, 2015
- How to Boost Your Writing Income Before the End of the Year - November 13, 2015
- What’s Your NaNoWriMo Plan? - November 2, 2015
- Productive Writing During NaNoWriMo (Infographic) - October 23, 2015
- Updates on the All Indie Writers Podcast - October 22, 2015