If you're an author, you've probably heard plenty about the importance of social media marketing. But when it comes to using social networks as marketing and PR tools, there are right and wrong ways to go about it. Let's look at Twitter as an example.
Here are some Twitter tips that will help you build better relationships with existing fans (which ultimately leads to more book sales), reach more potential readers, and avoid pissing off your followers in the process.
10 Twitter Tips for Authors
Keep these Twitter tips for authors in mind when promoting yourself and your books on the social network to build better relationships with fans, reach more potential readers, and avoid pissing your followers off.
- Be personable. Twitter is a social network, not a billboard for your book.
- Quality, not quantity. Aim to reach readers, not win a popularity contest.
- Use #hashtags to reach interested groups. But not too many. #obnoxious
- Don't retweet every positive mention of your book. Really. Stop.
- Include a link in your bio to your website or blog.
- Follow your fans, not just other authors.
- Use a headshot for your photo, not a book cover.
- Add a custom profile background for branding.
- Share. In social media, you get what you give.
- Don't beg followers to buy your book. Ever.
Do you have other Twitter tips authors should consider? Share them in the comments.
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Weekend Reading: Character Development for Writers - March 1, 2015
- Reader Question: When Should Indie Authors Publish a Second Book? - February 26, 2015
- 15 Ways to Repurpose Your Content – Get the Full Report - February 25, 2015
- Quick Tip: Make Sure Your Author Blog Reaches the Right Readers - February 24, 2015
- Get More Out of Your Blog by Repurposing Blog Content - February 23, 2015