As you might remember, All Freelance Writing was supposed to be nonexistent at this point. It was scheduled to be merged with two other sites and relaunched as AllIndieWriters.com back in July. Clearly July has passed, and this site is still here. I've been MIA for several months. And I'm ready to share a few updates on what's happening and what the new plan is for the relaunch.
Things have been crazy in my life to say the least. I recently took about two and a half months off of work. This was an unplanned leave right in the middle of developing the new site. Why would I do this?
- My stress levels were through the roof.
- I was going through another health-related issue.
- My husband and I have decided to move, and most of my time went into the house.
We've had a stressful time of it ever since moving into our current place (just under two years ago). There were neighborhood issues that often made it difficult. I was dealing with a huge hacking attempt on this site (no worries; they never got access, they just caused the server to get a bit sluggish for a while). My husband started a new job this year with a long commute (around 2.5 hours each day) which has led to some scheduling-related tension on both of our parts. And I was going through more health complications leading to our second early pregnancy loss this year.
The stress was getting to be too much, so we decided it would be best to leave and hopefully start fresh somewhere else. After all the work to get our house ready to go on the market, we were incredibly unhappy with our agent. That pushed the stress levels to the point of overload. And to top it off there were a few days when I was worried sick about my youngest brother who was in a bad motorcycle wreck when someone cut him off . It was just one thing after another for weeks.
That's the bad news. The good news is that things are finally looking up.
- The neighborhood situation has settled down significantly.
- We were supposed to testify in court (along with some other neighbors) against someone (more stress). The officer prosecuting agreed to let me step aside due to the miscarriage happening at the time so I could avoid further related stress. That was a relief. My husband decided not to testify either, taking it easy on the other individual involved, and he said he was assured there wouldn't be further problems. So far, so good. Things have been much better at home for the last couple of months.
- My brother's going to be fine. His helmet probably saved his life, and his shoulder ended up taking the brunt of the damage. He'll be out of work for months, but at least the other driver admitted fault so hopefully that will help get things settled through the insurance providers. And hey. He's alive. That's the best news.
- We got a new agent assigned to sell our house, and we're much happier with her and her plans for marketing the place.
- We had an offer accepted on the house we want to buy (but it's contingent on the sale of ours, so of course we might lose it -- we're still keeping options open just in case).
- I've met with my doctor who has me on medication that should help prevent another early miscarriage (something to do with the constantly-elevated stress hormones blocking other hormone receptors -- I won't pretend to fully understand it).
- We should find out whether or not we're pregnant again next week or so. If not, we'll keep trying. We understand the meds might not work miracles the first time (although conceiving hasn't exactly been our problem). While I won't share any personal pregnancy news until several months after it happens, please cross your fingers for us!
- Fall is here (well, unofficially at least). I'm always much happier in the fall for some reason. Just don't remind me about all the leaves I'll have to clean up constantly for showings.
Overall things are much better. I feel better too. I suspect it's related to the meds because I don't feel like I'm going to explode every time my stress levels rise anymore. So maybe that's a good sign that the stress hormones aren't hijacking my system. Time will tell I suppose.
In the meantime, these improvements mean I've been able to get back to work. I'm not on a full schedule yet because I still have to keep this house as showing-ready as possible all the time (difficult with five furkids and a wooded lot). We're also still making some improvements where the previous owner had neglected things. This week's project has been refinishing the deck which doesn't look like it had been protected or refreshed in a decade. So things are still crazy busy around here.
That said, I feel great to be working again at all. I can't even begin to tell you how much I've missed writing. I'm finishing up two client projects this week. Then next week I should be back to working on All Indie Writers. I need to finish a bit of copy, get a few blog posts ready, and fix a couple of technical issues still. But the launch is coming. Until that time, I hope to put up a few fresh posts for you here.
I hope things have been far more settled for the rest of you recently. I can't wait to get back to a full-time work schedule, and I'm really excited about the new site and hope to have it launched for you soon!
Jenn has over 15 years experience writing for others, over 11 years experience in blogging, and 9 years experience in indie e-book publishing.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Mindly: A Simple, Beautiful Mind Mapping App - September 16, 2015
- Find an Extra Hour Every Day With a 5-Minute List - September 15, 2015
- Cut Down on Wrist Pain with a Vertical Mouse - September 9, 2015
- How to Use Books (and Amazon) to Find Great Blog Post Ideas - September 8, 2015
- Here are 5 Writing Mistakes You’re Probably Making - September 4, 2015